Hi.

I am an amateur & want to learn PostgreSQL.
I work on a Windows XP system.
Is there any binary installer available to install the PostgreSQL database
on my windows based system?

I got this e-mail address from
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/supported-platforms.html
<http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/supported-platforms.html> .
But I could not follow the Chapter 15, as I am not a programmer, I just want
to use the DB for learning SQL etc.
Could you please help.

Best Regards,

Arvind Tiwari

Search Discussions

  • Marek Lewczuk at Jan 3, 2004 at 11:17 pm

    Arvind Tiwari wrote:
    Hi.

    I am an amateur & want to learn PostgreSQL.
    I work on a Windows XP system.
    Is there any binary installer available to install the PostgreSQL
    database on my windows based system?

    I got this e-mail address from
    http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/supported-platforms.html.
    But I could not follow the Chapter 15, as I am not a programmer, I just
    want to use the DB for learning SQL etc.
    Could you please help.

    Best Regards,

    Arvind Tiwari
    Arvind,
    please read http://techdocs.postgresql.org/guides/Windows

    ML
  • Chris Travers at Jan 4, 2004 at 8:22 am
    Hi Arvind;

    Sorry, a native Windows port of PostgreSQL is not yet complete.

    If you want to run it on Windows (as I am doing until my RedHat Laptop is repaired), you can do so by installing it via cygwin (http://www.cygwin.com). This is a free download, but it can take some time. I found that getting PostgreSQL up and running under Cygwin was very difficult until I read the install docs, which explained things very well :-).

    I suggest read the install docs (/usr/share/doc/postgresql-7.4/FAQ_MSWIN) once you install the software. If you can't still get it running, you can send another email to the list. You may also want to look at installing the ipc-daemon2 and postgresql as NT Services.

    The other document worth reading is:
    /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/postgresql-7.4.README

    Best Wishes,
    Chris Travers

    I am an amateur & want to learn PostgreSQL.
    I work on a Windows XP system.
    Is there any binary installer available to install the PostgreSQL database on my windows based system?

    I got this e-mail address from http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/supported-platforms.html.
    But I could not follow the Chapter 15, as I am not a programmer, I just want to use the DB for learning SQL etc.
    Could you please help.
    Best Regards,

    Arvind Tiwari

grouppgsql-ports @