Tom,

I have deleted my source tree, untarred it again from the bzipped
source and could compile it last night more than 100 times without any
serious errors. I put a date command in front of each run. The stderr
output get from each run looks like this:

Mon Dez 15 03:32:40 CET 2003 - start make distclean/configure/make
make[3]: buildfile: Kommando nicht gefunden
make[3]: [distclean] Fehler 127 (ignoriert)
mkdir man7
In file included from preproc.y:6286:
pgc.c: In function `yylex':
pgc.c:1386: Warnung: label `find_rule' defined but not used
preproc.y: At top level:
pgc.c:3367: Warnung: `yy_flex_realloc' defined but not used
Mon Dez 15 03:35:08 CET 2003 - end make distclean/configure/make

Here are versions of my packages (some from
http://atrpms.physik.fu-berlin.de/ )

gcc (GCC) 3.3.2 20031022 (Red Hat Linux 3.3.2-1)
libgcc-3.3.2-1
bash-2.05b-31
make-3.80-4.rhfc1.at
automake-1.7.9-0_17.rhfc1.at
gawk-3.1.3-3
sed-4.0.8-1

It seems that I have become unable to reproduce the error...

regards
--Marcel

Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> 12.12.2003 >>>
I tried that and various combinations of switches and environments but
could not reproduce this.
I find it striking that both complainants reported that the issue went
away on a fresh build attempt. This seems to suggest that even on
configurations that can produce the problem, it only happens one time
in N, where we have little idea how large N is.

Marcel, could you try just doing "make distclean, configure, make"
ten or a hundred times overnight, and see if you get more failures?

regards, tom lane

Search Discussions

  • Tom Lane at Dec 15, 2003 at 2:40 pm

    "Marcel Gsteiger" <Marcel.Gsteiger@milprog.ch> writes:
    I have deleted my source tree, untarred it again from the bzipped
    source and could compile it last night more than 100 times without any
    serious errors.
    Fascinating. It's good that the problem doesn't just appear and
    disappear at random, but that still leaves us with not much to go on.

    The only theory I can concoct is that you made some misstep in the
    initial build attempt that caused the problem (but how?), and when you
    did "make distclean" the problem was fixed. Can you recall any false
    starts or configure changes that you made during the first attempt?

    I'd be willing to write this off as an irreproducible glitch, were it
    not that someone else reported the apparently-identical problem.

    regards, tom lane

grouppgsql-ports @
categoriespostgresql
postedDec 15, '03 at 7:56a
activeDec 15, '03 at 2:40p
websitepostgresql.org
irc#postgresql

2 users in discussion

Marcel Gsteiger: 1 post Tom Lane: 1 post