Hi all,

I just tried to compile Postgresql 7.4 on RHFC1 linux without success. I used
./configure --with-python --with-perl , then make.

I get an error while bootstrap.c is being compiled (see messages below).

gcc --version reports itself as
gcc (GCC) 3.3.2 20031022 (Red Hat Linux 3.3.2-1)

Maybe this is a gcc error? Any help would much be appreciated.

Regards
Marcel Gsteiger
Milprog AG
Switzerland

btw: There is an error on the 'subscribe to the list' link on http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-ports/ . One gets the error

Majordomo Error

The domain "postgresql.o" is not supported!

..obviously the domain name should be postgresql.org instead.

error during compile:

gcc -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations -I. -I../../../src/include -D_GNU_SOURCE -c -o bootstrap.o bootstrap.c
bootstrap.c:118: error: `F_REGCLASSIN' undeclared here (not in a function)
bootstrap.c:118: error: initializer element is not constant
bootstrap.c:118: error: (near initialization for `Procid[8].inproc')
bootstrap.c:118: error: `F_REGCLASSOUT' undeclared here (not in a function)
bootstrap.c:118: error: initializer element is not constant
bootstrap.c:118: error: (near initialization for `Procid[8].outproc')
bootstrap.c:118: error: initializer element is not constant
bootstrap.c:118: error: (near initialization for `Procid[8]')
bootstrap.c:119: error: `F_REGTYPEIN' undeclared here (not in a function)
bootstrap.c:119: error: initializer element is not constant
bootstrap.c:119: error: (near initialization for `Procid[9].inproc')
bootstrap.c:119: error: `F_REGTYPEOUT' undeclared here (not in a function)
bootstrap.c:119: error: initializer element is not constant
bootstrap.c:119: error: (near initialization for `Procid[9].outproc')
bootstrap.c:119: error: initializer element is not constant
bootstrap.c:119: error: (near initialization for `Procid[9]')
bootstrap.c:120: error: initializer element is not constant
bootstrap.c:120: error: (near initialization for `Procid[10]')
bootstrap.c:121: error: initializer element is not constant
bootstrap.c:121: error: (near initialization for `Procid[11]')
bootstrap.c:122: error: initializer element is not constant
bootstrap.c:122: error: (near initialization for `Procid[12]')
bootstrap.c:123: error: initializer element is not constant
bootstrap.c:123: error: (near initialization for `Procid[13]')
bootstrap.c:124: error: initializer element is not constant
bootstrap.c:124: error: (near initialization for `Procid[14]')
bootstrap.c:125: error: initializer element is not constant
bootstrap.c:125: error: (near initialization for `Procid[15]')
bootstrap.c:126: error: initializer element is not constant
bootstrap.c:126: error: (near initialization for `Procid[16]')
bootstrap.c:127: error: initializer element is not constant
bootstrap.c:127: error: (near initialization for `Procid[17]')
bootstrap.c:128: error: initializer element is not constant
bootstrap.c:128: error: (near initialization for `Procid[18]')
make[3]: *** [bootstrap.o] Fehler 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/postgresql-7.4/src/backend/bootstrap'
make[2]: *** [bootstrap-recursive] Fehler 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/postgresql-7.4/src/backend'
make[1]: *** [all] Fehler 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/postgresql-7.4/src'
make: *** [all] Fehler 2

Search Discussions

  • Peter Eisentraut at Dec 9, 2003 at 9:04 pm

    Marcel Gsteiger wrote:
    I just tried to compile Postgresql 7.4 on RHFC1 linux without
    success. I used ./configure --with-python --with-perl , then make.

    I get an error while bootstrap.c is being compiled (see messages
    below).
    Can you send me the files config.log and src/backend/utils/fmgroids.h
    (off list), please? Something weird is going on here. You're not the
    first to report this.
  • Peter Eisentraut at Dec 11, 2003 at 10:08 pm

    Marcel Gsteiger wrote:
    Hi all,

    I just tried to compile Postgresql 7.4 on RHFC1 linux without
    success. I used ./configure --with-python --with-perl , then make.

    I get an error while bootstrap.c is being compiled (see messages
    below).
    I'm lost on this. A colleague just tried it on his RHFC1 machine, and I
    went without problems. I can't find any system in the errors in the
    generated files. It seems you will need to debug the problem yourself.
    Try to take apart the script Gen_fmgrtab.sh in src/backend/utils.
  • Tom Lane at Dec 11, 2003 at 10:15 pm

    Peter Eisentraut writes:
    I'm lost on this. A colleague just tried it on his RHFC1 machine, and I
    went without problems. I can't find any system in the errors in the
    generated files.
    Did the errors match what the other person with this problem reported?
    I couldn't see any pattern to those either; but it'd be helpful to
    know if the failures are repeatable ...

    regards, tom lane
  • Roderick A. Anderson at Dec 11, 2003 at 10:57 pm

    Did the errors match what the other person with this problem reported?
    I couldn't see any pattern to those either; but it'd be helpful to
    know if the failures are repeatable ...
    If you're referring to my message no. I've been pulled off to another
    project and will be for a few more days so haven't been able to do any
    tracking. Sorry.

    Rod
  • Peter Eisentraut at Dec 11, 2003 at 10:58 pm

    Tom Lane wrote:
    I'm lost on this. A colleague just tried it on his RHFC1 machine,
    and I went without problems. I can't find any system in the errors
    in the generated files.
    Did the errors match what the other person with this problem
    reported?
    There were no errors. He said he's seldom seen a cleaner compile. :)
  • Tom Lane at Dec 12, 2003 at 3:55 pm

    Peter Eisentraut writes:
    Tom Lane wrote:
    Did the errors match what the other person with this problem
    reported?
    There were no errors. He said he's seldom seen a cleaner compile. :)
    I'm sorry, I took you to mean that Marcel had sent you the bad
    fmgroids.h and fmgrtab.c files off-list (as I recall you requested)
    and you couldn't see any pattern in the omissions in them. Which is
    what I had to conclude after looking at the bad files sent me by the
    previous complainant. I still have those, if there's anything we can
    compare them to.

    There is obviously *something* weird going on on RHFC1, but it seems
    like the first problem is to figure out how to reproduce it ...

    regards, tom lane
  • Peter Eisentraut at Dec 12, 2003 at 6:05 pm

    Marcel Gsteiger wrote:
    I could reproduce the error again after "make distclean".
    However, I could work around the problem as follows:
    I tried "make distclean", " ./configure" (without options) and
    "make". Surprisingly this worked without errors. After this, I could
    even do a "./configure --with-python" and "make" without any further
    errors.
    I tried that and various combinations of switches and environments but
    could not reproduce this. The only difference between your system and
    mine that I could tell from config.log is that you're using the smp
    kernel.

    Here are my versions of various involved software packages:

    gcc-3.3.2-1
    libgcc-3.3.2-1
    bash-2.05b-31
    make-3.79.1-18
    gawk-3.1.3-3
    sed-4.0.8-1

    Also, try to see if you have a broken locale setting or something weird
    in the environment variables.
  • Tom Lane at Dec 12, 2003 at 8:48 pm

    Peter Eisentraut writes:
    I tried that and various combinations of switches and environments but
    could not reproduce this.
    I find it striking that both complainants reported that the issue went
    away on a fresh build attempt. This seems to suggest that even on
    configurations that can produce the problem, it only happens one time
    in N, where we have little idea how large N is.

    Marcel, could you try just doing "make distclean, configure, make"
    ten or a hundred times overnight, and see if you get more failures?

    regards, tom lane

grouppgsql-ports @
categoriespostgresql
postedDec 9, '03 at 9:29a