Your name : Steffen Schmidt
Your email address : SSchmid6@urz.uni-heidelberg.de

System Configuration
---------------------
Architecture : i686 (AMD Athlon)
Operating System : Linux 2.4.18.SuSE
PostgreSQL version : PostgreSQL-7.3 / PostgreSQL-7.2.3
Compiler used : gcc 2.95.3

Just compiled the sources and installed it - seems to work fine ;-) BUT:
I want to access another Postgres database running on version 7.2.3 on another
host, so I normally forward the port 5432(remote) to 5433(local) via ssh.
Typing psql -p 5433 -h localhost mydb works fine for all previous versions of
PostgreSQL but not with 7.3!
I get the error message:
ERROR: parser: parse error at or near "("

Any clue?
Thanks
Steffen

Please describe a way to repeat the problem. Please try to provide a
Start PostgreSQL version 7.2.3 on other host
modify pg_hba.conf for local access with full IP-Address
start postmaster with option -i
Forward port 5432 from remote host to local host via ssh
ssh -L 5433:remote_host:5433 remote_host
Try to access remote DB with psql (Version 7.3):
psql -p 5433 -h localhost -l

=> ERROR: parser: parse error at or near "("

Search Discussions

  • Tom Lane at Dec 3, 2002 at 7:18 am

    Steffen Schmidt writes:
    Just compiled the sources and installed it - seems to work fine ;-) BUT:
    I want to access another Postgres database running on version 7.2.3
    psql 7.3 isn't really compatible with older servers, because of changes
    for schema support. You'll need to keep a 7.2 psql around I'm afraid.

    regards, tom lane

grouppgsql-ports @
categoriespostgresql
postedNov 29, '02 at 10:26a
activeDec 3, '02 at 7:18a
websitepostgresql.org
irc#postgresql

2 users in discussion

Steffen Schmidt: 1 post Tom Lane: 1 post