Just FYI --- I have succeeded in making current development sources
build and run out-of-the-box on MacOS X 10.1. Aside from the linker
changes, Apple seems to have introduced a nasty bug in the system()
library call, but fortunately that can be worked around.

The system() fix just missed making it into 7.2beta2, but if you'd
like to try it for yourselves, you can grab a more recent nightly
snapshot tarball from dev/postgresql-snapshot.tar.gz on any PG FTP
mirror.

regards, tom lane

Search Discussions

  • Chris Ruprecht at Nov 12, 2001 at 4:26 pm
    Hi Tom,

    Thank you very much for the good news! I was able to compile 7.2b2
    the other day and got it to work, too, with the patches Russ has
    described. But I don't want to be running beta software on my
    production box right now - I'm sure you can understand that ;-). Any
    indication when 7.2 Final will be coming out? A X-Mas present, maybe?

    Something completely different: I believe GreatBridge is no longer.
    Who is the driving force behind the further development of PostGreSQL
    right now - and if some of you guys do this full time, what is your
    motivation and how do you survive?

    Best regards,
    Chris
    Just FYI --- I have succeeded in making current development sources
    build and run out-of-the-box on MacOS X 10.1. Aside from the linker
    changes, Apple seems to have introduced a nasty bug in the system()
    library call, but fortunately that can be worked around.

    The system() fix just missed making it into 7.2beta2, but if you'd
    like to try it for yourselves, you can grab a more recent nightly
    snapshot tarball from dev/postgresql-snapshot.tar.gz on any PG FTP
    mirror.

    regards, tom lane

    Chris Ruprecht
    Network grunt and bit pusher extraordinaíre

  • Bruce Momjian at Nov 12, 2001 at 4:50 pm

    Hi Tom,

    Thank you very much for the good news! I was able to compile 7.2b2
    the other day and got it to work, too, with the patches Russ has
    described. But I don't want to be running beta software on my
    production box right now - I'm sure you can understand that ;-). Any
    indication when 7.2 Final will be coming out? A X-Mas present, maybe?
    I am pushing for a pre-Christmas final and I think it is probable,
    particularly because beta is going so well.
    Something completely different: I believe GreatBridge is no longer.
    Who is the driving force behind the further development of PostGreSQL
    right now - and if some of you guys do this full time, what is your
    motivation and how do you survive?
    I have a full-time job with a PostgreSQL support company in Japan called
    SRA. Others are continuing to work as they did before being employed by
    a PostgreSQL company and weighing options. GB never steered PostgreSQL.
    We continue as a primarily volunteer effort as we have in the past.

    --
    Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us
    pgman@candle.pha.pa.us | (610) 853-3000

grouppgsql-ports @