I just went to do my first PostgreSQL installation on OpenBSD.
Did it from /usr/ports/
I followed the instructions exactly and got a core dump!
Any clues what might fix or cause this?

Using OpenBSD 2.9. PostgreSQL 7.1
/usr/ports/databases/postgresql/"make install"

AFTER INSTALLING, I TYPED:
$ useradd -c "PostgreSQL Admin User" -g =uid -m -d /var/postgresql -s
/bin/sh postgresql
$ su - postgresql
$ mkdir /var/postgresql/data
$ initdb -D /var/postgresql/data

IT SAID:
Fixing permissions on existing directory /var/postgresql/data
Creating directory /var/postgresql/data/base
Creating directory /var/postgresql/data/global
Creating directory /var/postgresql/data/pg_xlog
Creating template1 database in /var/postgresql/data/base/1
Bad system call (core dumped) <-------- *******
initdb failed.
Removing temp file /tmp/initdb.12300.

Any clues?

Search Discussions

  • Derek Sivers at Jul 10, 2001 at 9:29 pm
    I followed the instructions exactly and got a core dump!
    Solved:

    For those OpenBSD people, your kernel needs to have these options in your
    kernel-configuration file:

    # PostgreSQL NEEDS THIS
    option SYSVMSG # System V-like message queues
    option SYSVSEM # System V-like semaphores
    option SYSVSHM # System V-like memory sharing

grouppgsql-ports @
categoriespostgresql
postedJul 10, '01 at 9:29p
activeJul 10, '01 at 9:29p