Sorry if this is the wrong list; I'm too new to this to tell whether
these are general problems or Mac OS X problems, and I don't want to
start out by cross-posting ;-) I had 2 minor problems building PostgresQL
7.1 on a freshly-installed Mac OS X (10.0.3).

---
1
---

The first attempt at make install produced the following error:

gzip -d -c postgres.tar.gz | (cd /usr/local/bin/pgsql/doc/html && /usr/
bin/tar xf -)
tar: Unable to set file uid/gid of index.html <No such file or directory>

I looked; index.html was there; I ran make install again and it completed.

Is this some weird file-system cache synchronization thing with Mac OS X?
Or is it actually a bug in the install script?

---
2
---

Following the short version of instructions at the top of INSTALL, the
initdb failed because it didn't have write access in /usr/local/pgsql/. I
didn't ever notice if the make install gave an error about failing to set
privileges there, so I don't know the actual sequence.

Shouldn't adduser postgres come before make install? And either make
install set the privileges or be run as user postgresql? Is this a bug in
the instructions related to the author having previously had postgres
built on his system? Or is it some goofy Mac OS X thing? Anyway, I fixed
the privileges and postgres works (well, select * from pg_tables works),
so I don't need help fixing it.

I had read that 7.1 compiles as distributed on Mac OS X, and found that
to not be the case--almost, but not quite. (In addition to fixing these
bugs, if they are bugs, it would also be worth linking to a Mac OS X
specific page for installation--some place that would cover the other
small differences, make instead of gmake, no adduser command...)

Scott Ribe
scott_ribe@killerbytes.com
http://www.killerbytes.com/
(303) 665-7007 voice

Search Discussions

  • Peter Eisentraut at May 29, 2001 at 8:56 pm

    Scott Ribe writes:

    gzip -d -c postgres.tar.gz | (cd /usr/local/bin/pgsql/doc/html && /usr/
    bin/tar xf -)
    tar: Unable to set file uid/gid of index.html <No such file or directory>

    I looked; index.html was there; I ran make install again and it completed.
    This looks like a deficiency (bug?) in the local tar program.
    Following the short version of instructions at the top of INSTALL, the
    initdb failed because it didn't have write access in /usr/local/pgsql/. I
    didn't ever notice if the make install gave an error about failing to set
    privileges there, so I don't know the actual sequence.
    The database directory location you give to initdb is, in theory,
    completely unrelated to the location where the program files are
    installed. Therefore, there are no special permissions set up
    automatically.

    The "Short Version" installation instructions sort of assume that you are
    initially a user that can write to the default install location, and later
    you change to become the database special user. Well, it is the "Short
    Version", after all.
    I had read that 7.1 compiles as distributed on Mac OS X, and found that
    to not be the case--almost, but not quite.
    That's what we had people report...
    (In addition to fixing these
    bugs, if they are bugs, it would also be worth linking to a Mac OS X
    specific page for installation--some place that would cover the other
    small differences, make instead of gmake, no adduser command...)
    You need to use GNU make. / What do you have instead of adduser?

    --
    Peter Eisentraut peter_e@gmx.net http://funkturm.homeip.net/~peter

grouppgsql-ports @
categoriespostgresql
postedMay 29, '01 at 8:06p
activeMay 29, '01 at 8:56p
websitepostgresql.org
irc#postgresql

2 users in discussion

Peter Eisentraut: 1 post Scott Ribe: 1 post