Tried to install postgresql v.7.1.1 on a "freshly" installed Mandrake 8
Linux
(of course after removing postgre v 7.0) from the binary rpms

Incompatibility poped-up on libstdc++-libc6.1 (from the rpm binary) with
libstdc++2.10 ( from the mandrake linux v8, installation). This terminates
the installation process.

does anyone know of a work--around ?

How many people are using these binaries ? I'm surprised this question
hasn't appeared before.

Thank for any assistance.

Dias Badekas
email: dbadekas@aia.gr

Search Discussions

  • Jukka Honkela at May 21, 2001 at 9:36 am

    Tried to install postgresql v.7.1.1 on a "freshly" installed Mandrake 8
    Linux
    (of course after removing postgre v 7.0) from the binary rpms

    Incompatibility poped-up on libstdc++-libc6.1 (from the rpm binary) with
    libstdc++2.10 ( from the mandrake linux v8, installation). This terminates
    the installation process.

    does anyone know of a work--around ?
    Yes, compile the sources by yourself. There are differences between
    distributions, and, for example if the rpm's were compiled for rh 7.1,
    it might mean that they do not work on mandrake because of library
    differences.

    rpm --rebuild postgresql.....src.rpm

    Even this might fail, though, and might require changes to the .spec
    file. In this case, if you do not feel comfortable doing the changes,
    I'd recommend waiting for somebody else to make binary RPM's available
    for Mandrake.

    Jukka Honkela
  • Thomas Lockhart at May 21, 2001 at 4:31 pm

    Yes, compile the sources by yourself. There are differences between
    distributions, and, for example if the rpm's were compiled for rh 7.1,
    it might mean that they do not work on mandrake because of library
    differences.
    rpm --rebuild postgresql.....src.rpm
    Even this might fail, though, and might require changes to the .spec
    file. In this case, if you do not feel comfortable doing the changes,
    I'd recommend waiting for somebody else to make binary RPM's available
    for Mandrake.
    The source RPM builds find (and was posted for) Mandrake 7.2. 8.0 just
    needs a rebuild from the source RPM afaik. I may have access to an 8.0
    machine Real Soon Now, and will post one then.

    - Thomas
  • Lamar Owen at May 21, 2001 at 5:43 pm