Can someone evaluate this patch and generate a FAQ patch?

Hello Bruce,
Here is a FAQ_MSWIN with my notes >>>included<<<.
I will tackle INSTALL in a later email.

Peter

Bruce Momjian wrote:
There is a cygwin group and a ports group, and a docs group. If you
want to send over a patch for some docs, I can get them applied.
Hello Bruce,
I am trying to find the right way to contact whoever manages the port of
PostgreSQL to NT.

I followed the contact instruction in the documentation in 7.1.1 but my
email bounced.

I asked a question in comp.databases.postgresql.hackers and nobody
replied. The question:
Is this the right newsgroup to post things that go wrong and workarounds
for PostgreSQL 7.1.1 install on NT 4.0?

I noticed your posts throughout comp.databases.postgresql.hackers so
thought I would ask you the right way to contribute. All I wanted to do
was contribute some potential documentation updates, based on an
installation this week using the latest cygwin etc., while it is still
fresh in my mind and I have some notes handy.

Do you know the right news group or person to email?

Peter
--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us
pgman@candle.pha.pa.us | (610) 853-3000

1. Install the Cygwin package.

The Cygwin package provides a UNIX-like API on top of the Win32
API. It is available at <http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/>.
I used 1.3.1. <<<<<<<<
I installed Cygwin using the administrator id,
set the option to make Cygwin available to all users
and installed all packages. <<<<<<<<<<

2. Install the cygipc package, available at
<http://www.neuro.gatech.edu/users/cwilson/cygutils/V1.1/cygipc/>.
I used 1.09-2. When I first installed it,
I used c:\usr and that created a problem
so I changed to c:\cygwin\usr. I do not have a note of the exact problem. <<<<<<<<<

3. Optional: The "Andy Piper Tools" at <http://www.xemacs.freeserve.co.uk/>
are a collection of pre-compiled libraries and utilities that you
might find useful -- especially on Cygwin B20.
Andy no longer has downloadable stuff at his site <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
4. The Cygwin bin directory has to be placed in the path before the
Windows program directories, because the sort.exe has to be taken
from Cygwin, not Windows.
A PostgreSQL library has to go in the same path so make one change to:
c:\cygwin\usr\local\pgsql\lib;c:\cygwin\bin;c:\winnt......
<<<<<<<

5. Start ipc-daemon from the cygipc package. Use "net start ipc-daemon",
if ipc-daemon is installed as a service; otherwise, use "ipc-daemon &".
This program needs to be running anytime you start the PostgreSQL
server (postmaster).
I logged in as administrator and ran "ipc-daemon --install-as-service" and it worked perfectly.
6. Proceed according to the INSTALL file. (./configure; make; etc.)
Note that all the commands in the INSTALL file have to be run in the Cygwin window,
not the NT command line window. I ran the first part of the PostgreSQL install as administrator
then created the database as administrator then could not access the database form my normal user id
so I deleted the database and recreated the database from my normal logon and everything worked fine.
<<<<<

NOTE: The following are known issues with PostgreSQL on Windows:

1. Cygwin's AF_UNIX sockets are really implemented as AF_INET sockets
so they are inherently insecure.

2. make check can generate spurious regression test failures due to
overflowing the listen() backlog queue which causes connection
refused errors.

Problem reports can be sent to <pgsql-ports@postgresql.org>.
Email sent to this address bounced with some message about not being registered.<<<<<
--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us
pgman@candle.pha.pa.us | (610) 853-3000

  • Jason Tishler at May 10, 2001 at 1:41 pm
    Bruce,