I have compiled Postgresql 7.1 on an elderly Alpha running Linux.
Unfortunately some of the regression tests fail in a way that suggests
there is something seriously wrong. Does anybody have installed postgres
successfully in a similar config ?

tegge@linux255:~/postgresql-7.1/src/test/regress > uname -a
Linux linux255 2.2.13 #3 Fre Feb 18 18:32:09 CET 2000 alpha unknown
tegge@linux255:~/postgresql-7.1/src/test/regress > rpm -q libc
libc-2.1.2-28
tegge@linux255:~/postgresql-7.1/src/test/regress > gcc --version
egcs-2.91.66
tegge@linux255:~/postgresql-7.1/src/test/regress > cat /proc/cpuinfo
cpu : Alpha
cpu model : EV45
cpu variation : 7
cpu revision : 0
cpu serial number :
system type : Avanti
system variation : 0
system revision : 0
system serial number :
cycle frequency [Hz] : 232018561
timer frequency [Hz] : 1024.00
page size [bytes] : 8192
phys. address bits : 34
max. addr. space # : 63
BogoMIPS : 228.58
kernel unaligned acc : 0 (pc=0,va=0)
user unaligned acc : 0 (pc=0,va=0)
platform string : AlphaStation 255/233
cpus detected : 2

--
Bernd Tegge mailto:tegge@repas-aeg.de
Tel: ++49-511-87449-12 repas AEG Automation GmbH

Search Discussions

  • Tom Lane at May 3, 2001 at 2:45 pm

    "Tegge, Bernd" <tegge@repas-aeg.de> writes:
    I have compiled Postgresql 7.1 on an elderly Alpha running Linux.
    Unfortunately some of the regression tests fail in a way that suggests
    there is something seriously wrong.
    I agree, you've got a broken build there.
    Does anybody have installed postgres successfully in a similar config ?
    Several people have reported successful use of 7.1 on Alphas. I've
    tested it personally on a Debian Alpha box.

    I suspect you are having problems with compiler bugs (egcs-2.91.66 is
    pretty far back no?). Try a newer gcc release --- 2.95.2 is what I was
    using on that Debian box. Or perhaps just reducing the optimization
    level to -O0 will work.

    regards, tom lane

grouppgsql-ports @
categoriespostgresql