Hi all,

I got postgresql 7.1RC2 to compile on NT by following Kevin Lo's instructions to the letter (second try). I got it running and everything, but I am unable to connect to the database from other PCs using ODBC (Yes, I modified pg_hba.conf with a line like this :

host all 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 trust

I first ran ./configure --with-odbc --with-perl, but when I ran make, only a subset of the executables were produced. This is why I tried the ./configure command alone.

Can anyone say whether I should be able to use odbc even if the --with-odbc directive is not specified with the configure script? I'd appreciate it if you replied to me at kevinm@mail.infochan.com as well as the list.

Regards,
Kevin

Search Discussions

  • Peter Eisentraut at Apr 12, 2001 at 5:55 pm

    kevin mclaughlin writes:

    I got it running and everything, but I am unable to connect to the
    database from other PCs using ODBC (Yes, I modified pg_hba.conf with a
    line like this :

    host all 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 trust
    Can you connect using other interfaces, such as psql? Is there anything
    about failed connection attempts in the server log?
    I first ran ./configure --with-odbc --with-perl, but when I ran make, only a subset of the executables were produced.
    What do you define as the full set and what is the subset you got?
    Can anyone say whether I should be able to use odbc even if the
    --with-odbc directive is not specified with the configure script?
    --with-odbc compiles the odbc driver. You can use a different odbc
    driver, but from what I can tell it seems unlikely that you have one.
    Note that you probably can't just connect through odbc without doing some
    configuring of the odbc driver (manager) (the details of which are beyond
    my knowlegde).

    --
    Peter Eisentraut peter_e@gmx.net http://yi.org/peter-e/
  • Hiroshi Inoue at Apr 12, 2001 at 11:50 pm
    I got postgresql 7.1RC2 to compile on NT by following Kevin Lo's
    instructions to the letter (second try). I got it running and everything,
    but I am unable to connect to the database from other PCs using ODBC (Yes, I
    modified pg_hba.conf with a line like this :

    host all 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 trust

    I first ran ./configure --with-odbc --with-perl, but when I ran make, only
    a subset of the executables were produced. This is why I tried the
    ./configure command alone.

    Can anyone say whether I should be able to use odbc even if
    the --with-odbc directive is not specified with the configure script? I'd
    appreciate it if you replied to me at kevinm@mail.infochan.com as well as
    the list.

    The ODBC driver made in cygwin is unavailable under native Windows
    environment.
    Get the binary from ftp://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/odbc/versions/.
    You could also build it using win32.mak but psqlodbc.def may be corrupted
    by the cygwin build process.

    regards,
    Hiroshi Inoue
  • Jason Tishler at Apr 13, 2001 at 3:47 pm

    Get the binary from ftp://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/odbc/versions/.
    The readme.txt in

    ftp://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/odbc/

    is *much* newer and more useful than one the in CVS. Someone please
    commit this newer version into CVS.

    Thanks,
    Jason

    --
    Jason Tishler
    Director, Software Engineering Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235

    Get the binary from ftp://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/odbc/versions/.
    The readme.txt in

    ftp://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/odbc/

    is *much* newer and more useful than one the in CVS. Someone please
    commit this newer version into CVS.
    Recently Dave Page is rewriting the documentation about ODBC.
    Thanks Dave.
    If there's no objection, I would commit it into CVS.

    regards,
    Hiroshi Inoue
  • Jason Tishler at Apr 13, 2001 at 3:49 pm
    Hiroshi,
    The ODBC driver made in cygwin is unavailable under native Windows
    environment.
    Is the Cygwin ODBC driver known to work? If so, then I will include it
    in my next Cygwin PostgreSQL distribution.

    Thanks,
    Jason

    --
    Jason Tishler
    Director, Software Engineering Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235
    Dot Hill Systems Corp. Fax: +1 (732) 264-8798
    82 Bethany Road, Suite 7 Email: Jason.Tishler@dothill.com
    Hazlet, NJ 07730 USA WWW: http://www.dothill.com
  • Hiroshi Inoue at Apr 14, 2001 at 11:09 pm

    The ODBC driver made in cygwin is unavailable under native Windows
    environment.
    Is the Cygwin ODBC driver known to work? If so, then I will include it
    in my next Cygwin PostgreSQL distribution.
    It doesn't seem to work with M$ ODBC Driver Manager.

    regards,
    Hiroshi Inoue
  • Jason Tishler at Apr 16, 2001 at 2:47 am
    Hiroshi,
    It doesn't seem to work with M$ ODBC Driver Manager.
    Any idea why not?

    Thanks,
    Jason

    --
    Jason Tishler
    Director, Software Engineering Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235
    Dot Hill Systems Corp. Fax: +1 (732) 264-8798
    82 Bethany Road, Suite 7 Email: Jason.Tishler@dothill.com
    Hazlet, NJ 07730 USA WWW: http://www.dothill.com
  • Hiroshi Inoue at Apr 16, 2001 at 3:56 am
    Hi Jason,

    Jason Tishler wrote:
    Hiroshi,
    It doesn't seem to work with M$ ODBC Driver Manager.
    Any idea why not?
    The current non-Windows psqlodbc driver is intended to use
    with iODBC driver manager. It's not easy to support other
    driver managers. For example, another driver manager unixODBC
    isn't supported yet in current source.

    regards,
    Hiroshi Inoue
  • Kevin mclaughlin at Apr 13, 2001 at 10:36 pm
    Hi all,

    I got postgresql 7.1RC2 to compile on NT by following Kevin Lo's instructions to the letter (second try). I got it running and everything, but I am unable to connect to the database from other PCs using ODBC (Yes, I modified pg_hba.conf with a line like this :

    host all 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 trust

    I first ran ./configure --with-odbc --with-perl, but when I ran make, only a subset of the executables were produced. This is why I tried the ./configure command alone.

    Can anyone say whether I should be able to use odbc even if the --with-odbc directive is not specified with the configure script? I'd appreciate it if you replied to me at kevinm@mail.infochan.com as well as the list.

    Regards,
    Kevin

grouppgsql-ports @
categoriespostgresql