I'm fairly new to postgres, but have been working on it on my Linux
machine for a few days now. Anyway, I tried installing 7.1-RC1 under Mac
OS X 10.0, and had some problems. The configure command and the make
command (yes, I'm using GNU Make) both went fine. When I got to the make
install part, I got the following output:

[localhost:stmpjmpr/Desktop/postgresql-7.1RC1] root# make install
make -C doc install
gzip -d -c postgres.tar.gz | ( cd /usr/local/pgsql/doc/html &&
/usr/bin/tar xf - )
gzip -d -c man.tar.gz | ( cd /usr/local/pgsql/man && /usr/bin/tar xf - )
make -C src install
make -C backend install
make -C access all
make -C common SUBSYS.o
make[4]: `SUBSYS.o' is up to date.
make -C gist SUBSYS.o
make[4]: `SUBSYS.o' is up to date.
make -C hash SUBSYS.o
make[4]: `SUBSYS.o' is up to date.
make -C heap SUBSYS.o
make[4]: `SUBSYS.o' is up to date.
make -C index SUBSYS.o
make[4]: `SUBSYS.o' is up to date.
make -C nbtree SUBSYS.o
make[4]: `SUBSYS.o' is up to date.
make -C rtree SUBSYS.o
make[4]: `SUBSYS.o' is up to date.
make -C transam SUBSYS.o
make[4]: `SUBSYS.o' is up to date.
make -C bootstrap all
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make -C catalog all
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make -C parser all
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make -C commands all
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make -C executor all
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make -C lib all
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make -C libpq all
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make -C main all
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make -C nodes all
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make -C optimizer all
make -C geqo SUBSYS.o
make[4]: `SUBSYS.o' is up to date.
make -C path SUBSYS.o
make[4]: `SUBSYS.o' is up to date.
make -C plan SUBSYS.o
make[4]: `SUBSYS.o' is up to date.
make -C prep SUBSYS.o
make[4]: `SUBSYS.o' is up to date.
make -C util SUBSYS.o
make[4]: `SUBSYS.o' is up to date.
make -C port all
make -C darwin all
make[4]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make -C postmaster all
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make -C regex all
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make -C rewrite all
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make -C storage all
make -C buffer SUBSYS.o
make[4]: `SUBSYS.o' is up to date.
make -C file SUBSYS.o
make[4]: `SUBSYS.o' is up to date.
make -C ipc SUBSYS.o
make[4]: `SUBSYS.o' is up to date.
make -C large_object SUBSYS.o
make[4]: `SUBSYS.o' is up to date.
make -C lmgr SUBSYS.o
make[4]: `SUBSYS.o' is up to date.
make -C page SUBSYS.o
make[4]: `SUBSYS.o' is up to date.
make -C smgr SUBSYS.o
make[4]: `SUBSYS.o' is up to date.
make -C tcop all
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make -C utils all
make -C adt SUBSYS.o
make[4]: `SUBSYS.o' is up to date.
make -C cache SUBSYS.o
make[4]: `SUBSYS.o' is up to date.
make -C error SUBSYS.o
make[4]: `SUBSYS.o' is up to date.
make -C fmgr SUBSYS.o
make[4]: `SUBSYS.o' is up to date.
make -C hash SUBSYS.o
make[4]: `SUBSYS.o' is up to date.
make -C init SUBSYS.o
make[4]: `SUBSYS.o' is up to date.
make -C misc SUBSYS.o
make[4]: `SUBSYS.o' is up to date.
make -C mmgr SUBSYS.o
make[4]: `SUBSYS.o' is up to date.
make -C sort SUBSYS.o
make[4]: `SUBSYS.o' is up to date.
make -C time SUBSYS.o
make[4]: `SUBSYS.o' is up to date.
cc -traditional-cpp -g -O2 -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes
-Wmissing-declarations access/SUBSYS.o bootstrap/SUBSYS.o
catalog/SUBSYS.o parser/SUBSYS.o commands/SUBSYS.o executor/SUBSYS.o
lib/SUBSYS.o libpq/SUBSYS.o main/SUBSYS.o nodes/SUBSYS.o
optimizer/SUBSYS.o port/SUBSYS.o postmaster/SUBSYS.o regex/SUBSYS.o
rewrite/SUBSYS.o storage/SUBSYS.o tcop/SUBSYS.o utils/SUBSYS.o -lz -o
postgres
/usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
__ashldi3
__ashrdi3
__divdi3
__fixdfdi
__floatdidf
make[2]: *** [postgres] Error 1
make[1]: *** [install] Error 2
make: *** [install] Error 2

Here's the version info from my make command:

[localhost:src/include/port] root# make --version
GNU Make version 3.79, by Richard Stallman and Roland McGrath.
Built for powerpc-apple-darwin1.0
Copyright (C) 1988, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99
Free Software Foundation, Inc.
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Report bugs to <bug-make@gnu.org>.

Any help available?

TIA,

--Scott

--
Scott W. Hill
VeriSign Payment Services

Search Discussions

  • Tom Lane at Apr 1, 2001 at 7:29 pm

    Scott Hill writes:
    cc -traditional-cpp -g -O2 -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes
    -Wmissing-declarations access/SUBSYS.o bootstrap/SUBSYS.o
    catalog/SUBSYS.o parser/SUBSYS.o commands/SUBSYS.o executor/SUBSYS.o
    lib/SUBSYS.o libpq/SUBSYS.o main/SUBSYS.o nodes/SUBSYS.o
    optimizer/SUBSYS.o port/SUBSYS.o postmaster/SUBSYS.o regex/SUBSYS.o
    rewrite/SUBSYS.o storage/SUBSYS.o tcop/SUBSYS.o utils/SUBSYS.o -lz -o
    postgres
    /usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
    __ashldi3
    __ashrdi3
    __divdi3
    __fixdfdi
    __floatdidf
    make[2]: *** [postgres] Error 1
    Looks to me like you have a broken or incomplete compiler/library setup.
    Those symbols are compiler-provided subroutines for primitive C operations
    like arithmetic shift on long ints. The compiler itself should take
    care of making sure they are available.

    I realize this isn't much help for actually solving the problem ... but
    I'd suggest asking for help in an OSX-related forum, rather than here.

    regards, tom lane

grouppgsql-ports @
categoriespostgresql
postedApr 1, '01 at 4:16a