Hi all,

tried to install v 7.1 beta6 on a system with following setup:

- Windows 2000 SP1 (384MB RAM is enough even for Windows)
- Cygwin 1.1.8, gcc-2.95.2-6
- cygipc 1.0.9 (took binary, installed it as a service)

I compiled and installed PostgreSQL as a user with administrator
privileges. I also installed a new user postgres, (both Win and
cygwin), and failed when trying to initialize db as postgres:

$ initdb -D /usr/pgsql/data
This database system will be initialized with username "postgres".
This user will own all the data files and must also own the server process.

Fixing permissions on existing directory /usr/pgsql/data
Creating directory /usr/pgsql/data/base
Creating directory /usr/pgsql/data/global
Creating directory /usr/pgsql/data/pg_xlog
Creating template1 database in /usr/pgsql/data/base/1
DEBUG: database system was shut down at 2001-03-24 13:35:40
DEBUG: CheckPoint record at (0, 8)
DEBUG: Redo record at (0, 8); Undo record at (0, 8); Shutdown TRUE
DEBUG: NextTransactionId: 514; NextOid: 16384
DEBUG: database system is in production state
Creating global relations in /usr/pgsql/data/global
DEBUG: database system was shut down at 2001-03-24 13:35:45
DEBUG: CheckPoint record at (0, 112)
DEBUG: Redo record at (0, 112); Undo record at (0, 0); Shutdown TRUE
DEBUG: NextTransactionId: 514; NextOid: 17199
DEBUG: database system is in production state
Initializing pg_shadow.
Enabling unlimited row width for system tables.
Creating system views.
Setting lastsysoid.
Vacuuming database.
Copying template1 to template0.

Success. You can now start the database server using:

/usr/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D /usr/pgsql/data
or
/usr/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl -D /usr/pgsql/data -l logfile start

Well, that's what pgsql said. Tried running it in the background or
foreground to no avail:

postgres@ABSOLUT /usr/pgsql/data
$ nohup /usr/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D /usr/pgsql/data < /dev/null
server.log 2
&1 < /dev/null &
[1] 1048

postgres@ABSOLUT /usr/pgsql/data
$ D:\cygwin\usr\pgsql\bin\postgres.exe: *** recreate_mmaps_after_fork_failed

[1]+ Exit 1 nohup /usr/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D
/usr/pgsql/data
</dev/null >>server.log 2>&1 </dev/null

postgres@ABSOLUT /usr/pgsql/data
$ postmaster -D /usr/pgsql/data
D:\cygwin\usr\pgsql\bin\postgres.exe: *** recreate_mmaps_after_fork_failed
postmaster: Startup proc 1144 exited with status 256 - abort

Also tried it as the user who compiled and installed the stuff, but the same
error occurs. What's going wrong here?

And: how can I install a hopefully running postmaster as a service?

Thanks a lot,

Frank Wegmann

Search Discussions

  • Tim Dunnington at Mar 26, 2001 at 2:19 pm
    Frank,

    Don't know if it will help, but on Unix anyway you do:

    postmaster -S

    to run the database as a daemon process. I've not tried running it using
    nohup as you did, so I'm not sure if that's your problem or not.

    Tim

    PS -- if you plan to use ODBC to connect to the database, you'll
    need "postmaster -S -i"...also check your pg_hba.conf file in your data
    directory, make sure you open it up for use on your network.

    TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

    --
    Tim Dunnington
    Sr. Integration Engineer