I'm frantically trying to get PostgreSQL 7.0.3 installed on my laptop so
I can work on my database while on holiday next week. I've got it to
compile fine with the latest version of Cygwin, with cygipc-1.08,
however, when I start postmaster, it fails:

$ ipc-daemon &
$ postmaster -i &
[2] 528923
$ G:\CYGW\USR\LOCAL\PGSQL\BIN\POSTGRES.EXE: *** recreate_mmaps_after_for
k_failed
Startup failed - abort
NOTICE: IpcMemoryDetach: shmdt(0x0x82f6a000): Invalid argument
NOTICE: IpcMemoryDetach: shmdt(0x0x86ba1000): Invalid argument
NOTICE: IpcMemoryDetach: shmdt(0x0x82c50000): Invalid argument

I have applied the patch indicated in a previous thread for cygipc, but
the error still persists. I also tried version 1.07.

I note from the mailing list that someone has had PostgreSQL working
under Win98 before - I would be extremely grateful if someone could help
me get this working.

[ I can't seem to get gdb to work properly under Cygwin (would not find
the source files), so I was unable to step through the code and see what
the problem is. ]

Thanks!
--
Jamie Walker "My dear boy, forget about the motivation.
jamie@sagaxis.co.uk Just say the lines and don't trip over the

Search Discussions

  • Jason Tishler at Feb 3, 2001 at 11:55 pm
    Jamie,
    I'm frantically trying to get PostgreSQL 7.0.3 installed on my laptop so
    I can work on my database while on holiday next week. I've got it to
    compile fine with the latest version of Cygwin, with cygipc-1.08,
    however, when I start postmaster, it fails:

    $ ipc-daemon &
    $ postmaster -i &
    [2] 528923
    $ G:\CYGW\USR\LOCAL\PGSQL\BIN\POSTGRES.EXE: *** recreate_mmaps_after_for
    k_failed
    Startup failed - abort
    The above problem is due to Cygwin 1.1.8, see the following for more
    information:

    You can "fix" the problem by temporarily downgrading to Cygwin 1.1.7.

    Please do me a favor and forward this to pgsql-ports@postgresql.org, if
    you don't see my response there too. I have been having problem posting
    recently. When it rains it pours...

    Thanks,
    Jason

    --
    Jason Tishler
    Director, Software Engineering Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235
    I'm frantically trying to get PostgreSQL 7.0.3 installed on my laptop so
    I can work on my database while on holiday next week. I've got it to
    compile fine with the latest version of Cygwin, with cygipc-1.08,
    however, when I start postmaster, it fails:
    <SNIP>
    You can "fix" the problem by temporarily downgrading to Cygwin 1.1.7.
    Many thanks! It's working like a charm now. :)

    Is there any reason why the FAQ suggests that it will only work on NT
    and not on Win98?
    --
    Jamie Walker "My dear boy, forget about the motivation.
    jamie@sagaxis.co.uk Just say the lines and don't trip over the
    http://www.sagaxis.co.uk/ furniture." (Noel Coward)
  • Bruce Momjian at Feb 4, 2001 at 9:42 pm

    In article <20010203185926.R1800@dothill.com>, Jason Tishler
    <Jason.Tishler@dothill.com> writes
    I'm frantically trying to get PostgreSQL 7.0.3 installed on my laptop so
    I can work on my database while on holiday next week. I've got it to
    compile fine with the latest version of Cygwin, with cygipc-1.08,
    however, when I start postmaster, it fails:
    <SNIP>
    You can "fix" the problem by temporarily downgrading to Cygwin 1.1.7.
    Many thanks! It's working like a charm now. :)

    Is there any reason why the FAQ suggests that it will only work on NT
    and not on Win98?
    Did you read all of the FAQ?

    The database server does not run on MS Windows
    9X because Cygwin does not support the required features on those
    platforms. We have no plan to do a native port to any Microsoft
    platform.

    --
    Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us
    pgman@candle.pha.pa.us | (610) 853-3000
    Is there any reason why the FAQ suggests that it will only work on NT
    and not on Win98?
    Did you read all of the FAQ?

    The database server does not run on MS Windows
    9X because Cygwin does not support the required features on those
    platforms. We have no plan to do a native port to any Microsoft
    platform.
    I only read the platform specific FAQ, but I remember reading the above
    a while back.

    My point was, it seems to run quite well under Win98 on my PC. Which is
    great cause I can shove it on the laptop and take it on holiday with me
    to play with! :)
    --
    Jamie Walker "My dear boy, forget about the motivation.
    jamie@sagaxis.co.uk Just say the lines and don't trip over the
    http://www.sagaxis.co.uk/ furniture." (Noel Coward)
  • Bruce Momjian at Feb 4, 2001 at 11:32 pm

    In article <200102042141.QAA14198@candle.pha.pa.us>, Bruce Momjian
    <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> writes
    Is there any reason why the FAQ suggests that it will only work on NT
    and not on Win98?
    Did you read all of the FAQ?

    The database server does not run on MS Windows
    9X because Cygwin does not support the required features on those
    platforms. We have no plan to do a native port to any Microsoft
    platform.
    I only read the platform specific FAQ, but I remember reading the above
    a while back.

    My point was, it seems to run quite well under Win98 on my PC. Which is
    great cause I can shove it on the laptop and take it on holiday with me
    to play with! :)
    What! That is the first I have ever heard it runs on Win98. I assume
    you are running Cygwin. Maybe the newer version has the stuff we need.
    Can you supply the cygwin version?

    --
    Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us
    pgman@candle.pha.pa.us | (610) 853-3000
  • Kevin Lo at Feb 5, 2001 at 6:45 am

    Bruce Momjian wrote:

[...]

    Not surprisingly :-) Someone followed my page to install PostgreSQL to
    Windows 98 last year, he told me that it runs on Win98 with no problems.
    Because I don't have Win98, I can't test it whether it works nor not.
    Well, I think PostgreSQL-7.0.x can run on Win98...
    --
    Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us
    pgman@candle.pha.pa.us | (610) 853-3000
    - Kevin
  • Bruce Momjian at Feb 5, 2001 at 5:39 pm

    My point was, it seems to run quite well under Win98 on my PC. Which is
    great cause I can shove it on the laptop and take it on holiday with me
    to play with! :)
    What! That is the first I have ever heard it runs on Win98. I assume
    you are running Cygwin. Maybe the newer version has the stuff we need.
    Can you supply the cygwin version?
    Not surprisingly :-) Someone followed my page to install PostgreSQL to
    Windows 98 last year, he told me that it runs on Win98 with no problems.
    Because I don't have Win98, I can't test it whether it works nor not.
    Well, I think PostgreSQL-7.0.x can run on Win98...
    Updated FAQ item:

    The database server can run on Windows NT, Win2k, and Win98 using
    Cygwin, the Cygnus Unix/NT porting library. See pgsql/doc/FAQ_MSWIN in
    the distribution or the MS Windows FAQ on our web site. We have no plan
    to do a native port to any Microsoft platform.

    --
    Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us
    pgman@candle.pha.pa.us | (610) 853-3000
  • Jason Tishler at Feb 6, 2001 at 2:26 am
    Bruce,
[...]

    I would change the first sentence above to:

    The database server can run on Windows NT, 2000, 9X, and Me using
    Cygwin, the Red Hat Unix/Windows porting library.

    But, I recommend holding off on the update until someone runs the
    regression test. Especially, because of the following:
    I also tried to run on Win9x with cygwin1.1.7, and succeed only with one
    connection. It seems very unstable.
    Yutaka has proven himself very knowledgeable in the area of Cygwin PostgreSQL
    and I think that we should heed his warning.

    Thanks,
    Jason

    --
    Jason Tishler
    Director, Software Engineering Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235
    Dot Hill Systems Corp. Fax: +1 (732) 264-8798
    82 Bethany Road, Suite 7 Email: Jason.Tishler@dothill.com
    Hazlet, NJ 07730 USA WWW: http://www.dothill.com
  • Bruce Momjian at Feb 6, 2001 at 4:32 am

    The database server can run on Windows NT, Win2k, and Win98 using
    Cygwin, the Cygnus Unix/NT porting library. See pgsql/doc/FAQ_MSWIN in
    the distribution or the MS Windows FAQ on our web site. We have no plan
    to do a native port to any Microsoft platform.
    I would change the first sentence above to:

    The database server can run on Windows NT, 2000, 9X, and Me using
    Cygwin, the Red Hat Unix/Windows porting library.

    But, I recommend holding off on the update until someone runs the
    regression test. Especially, because of the following:
    OK, FAQ updated.

    --
    Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us
    pgman@candle.pha.pa.us | (610) 853-3000
  • Yutaka tanida at Feb 5, 2001 at 6:12 pm

    What! That is the first I have ever heard it runs on Win98. I assume
    you are running Cygwin. Maybe the newer version has the stuff we need.
    Can you supply the cygwin version?
    I also tried to run on Win9x with cygwin1.1.7, and succeed only with one
    connection. It seems very unstable.

    --
    Yutaka tanida <yutaka@hi-net.zaq.ne.jp>
  • Eduardo Stern at Feb 6, 2001 at 1:12 pm

    CygWin 1.1.7, PostgreSQL 7.03 or 7.1beta4, Win98SE...

    Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> escreveu nas notícias de
    mensagem:200102042332.SAA17600@candle.pha.pa.us...
[...]

  • Jason Tishler at Feb 6, 2001 at 1:47 pm
    Eduardo,
    Well, I use it on Win98 for testing purposes, and it runs just fine...

    CygWin 1.1.7, PostgreSQL 7.03 or 7.1beta4, Win98SE...
    Would you be willing to run the regression tests and report the results
    to the list?

    Thanks,
    Jason

    --
    Jason Tishler
    Director, Software Engineering Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235
    Dot Hill Systems Corp. Fax: +1 (732) 264-8798
    82 Bethany Road, Suite 7 Email: Jason.Tishler@dothill.com
    Hazlet, NJ 07730 USA WWW: http://www.dothill.com
  • Jason Tishler at Feb 4, 2001 at 11:08 pm