Rick,

We've been using Postgres 7.0.2 on AIX 4.3 (on an F80) for over 6 months and
it has been a dream! It's been running extremely well, and performance is
super. We're using it for an ODBC Winders app with about 10 concurrent users
(also some via MS Access and Crystal Reports)

The most difficult problem we had was compiling it for AIX. Specifically, we
had to have Tcl support, because our product is based on Tcl. However, it
wouldn't compile for Tcl, and the pre-compiled packages at bull didn't
support Tcl. If you haven't been to bull, go there and see the link for the
open source AIX software: http://www.bull.de. Once we figured out the
problem (which required a makefile hack) it compiled for Tcl without a hitch.

What I have is a tar.gz of Postgres 7.0.2 for AIX 4.3. I'd be happy to share
it, just contact me and I'll make arrangements.

All the functionality works except for the tk administration application
that's included. Since we didn't need that, we didn't bother to tinker with
it.

If you're happy to use postgres without Tcl support, then I'd suggest getting
the packages from bull, which can be installed via smit. Note that you'll
also need to have the perl 5 package installed first; its a pre-requisite for
the postgres package, but the website doesn't tell you that. And then when
you do install it, you have to move some the configuration files from one dir
to another (and now I can't remember what they are <sigh>). It's been a
while since I tinkered with those, so I can't remember exactly what had to be
done, but when you start postgres it will give you a hint.

Let me know if you need a hand :-)

Cheers,
Tim

I am interested in using PostgreSQL on IBM AIX 4.1 ....4.3

I am using it to post from legacy(non- SQL based) applications on the AIX
that I will have access to the source code. The applications work great and
I'm looking only to add functionality(Web access).

Where do I start?

Thanks,
Rick Vlahov

--
Tim Dunnington
Sr. Integration Engineer

Search Discussions

  • Peter Eisentraut at Dec 30, 2000 at 3:55 pm

    Tim Dunnington writes:

    The most difficult problem we had was compiling it for AIX. Specifically, we
    had to have Tcl support, because our product is based on Tcl. However, it
    wouldn't compile for Tcl, and the pre-compiled packages at bull didn't
    support Tcl. If you haven't been to bull, go there and see the link for the
    open source AIX software: http://www.bull.de. Once we figured out the
    problem (which required a makefile hack) it compiled for Tcl without a hitch.
    Would you care to share what kind of modifications you had to make to get
    Tcl support to compile so that we can include this in the next release?
    If you're happy to use postgres without Tcl support, then I'd suggest getting
    the packages from bull, which can be installed via smit. Note that you'll
    also need to have the perl 5 package installed first; its a pre-requisite for
    the postgres package, but the website doesn't tell you that.
    That is false. Perl is not needed.

    --
    Peter Eisentraut peter_e@gmx.net http://yi.org/peter-e/
  • Tim Dunnington at Dec 30, 2000 at 4:51 pm

    But for the short version, I had to add a compiler directive to include, I
    think it was libtcl80.so, when building the tcl package libpgtcl.so. I'll
    have to login to our development server to find out what I did (it's been six
    months now)...I actually had a shell script to do the makefile change for
    me. I'll send that one next week when I find it.

    I beg to differ on the perl issue though. When I downloaded and installed
    the postgres package in June from bull, I had to install the perl 5 package
    first. Smit wouldn't install the package otherwise, and explicitly told me
    that I had to have the perl 5 package. This was confirmed by another group
    of engineers installing postgres on another server...they had the exact same
    issues.

    Now perhaps the package has changed since then, but I'm telling you I had to
    install perl 5 first. I'm certain of it.

    So if you know how to get around that, I'd appreciate it. Or if the package
    at bull has changed, I'd like to know that too.

    Thanks,
    Tim

    Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> said:
    Tim Dunnington writes:
[...]