os390 ibmos wrote:

Exactly my point. My next Linux server that I build is going
to be SUSE, atleast some guys are not in a hurry to go public.
The SuSE RPM's are derived from the RedHat ones, according to their own
changelog from SuSE 7.0's postgres-7.0.2-53.src.rpm:
* Fri Jun 09 2000 - max@suse.de
- New version: 7.0.2.
- Re-made the whole package based on the original PostgreSQL RPM.
- There is still a little work needed for clean updates from
PostgreSQL 6.x to 7.0.x
- Heavy testing needed before SuSE Linux 7.0.

Further discussion on RPM pros and cons should go to pgsql-ports.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Search Discussions

  • Lamar Owen at Nov 1, 2000 at 2:45 pm
    [bcc to general, cc: (and followups) to pgsql-ports.]

    Steve Wolfe wrote:
    Exactly my point. My next Linux server that I build is going
    to be SUSE, atleast some guys are not in a hurry to go public.
    Trond's response indicates that all may not be as bad as we first
    thought. Good work, Lamar.
    You're welcome. Please see the file README.rpm, which is referenced in
    the bootup message (or at least it should be) on what to do next. On
    RedHat 7 README.rpm is in /usr/share/doc, on RedHat 6 it is in /usr/doc.

    It has been a long road towards getting smooth RPM upgrades -- and we're
    not there yet, unfortunately, although Trond's rh-pgdump script helps
    loads.
    --
    Lamar Owen
    WGCR Internet Radio