Hello!

I have sucessfully installed and compiled PostgreSQL 7.0 to
WinNT 4.0 Workstation Service Pack 6
My machine is a dual PIII-500 workstation (in case it can cause
problems)
The initdb script works as it should and everything works fine and
runs smoothly until I try to start a program or a script that wants
a connection to the postmaster.

As an example:
-----------------
bash-2.02$ ipc-daemon.exe &
[1] 1016
bash-2.02$ postmaster -i &
[2] 1017
bash-2.02$ createdb testing
psql: connectDBStart() -- socket() failed: errno=106
Addresses in the specified family cannot be used with this socket
createdb: database creation failed
------------------

Any hints ?

+------------------------------------------+----------------------+
David Lofstrand - Programmer | Surgical Science AB |
davidl<NO_SPAMMING>@surgical-science.com | Medicinareg 3A |
Tel: +46 (0)31-74 11 804 | SE-413 46 Gothenburg |
Fax: +46 (0)31-74 11 701 | SWEDEN |
+------------------------------------------+----------------------+

Search Discussions

  • Kevin Lo at May 29, 2000 at 4:13 am

    David Lofsstrand wrote:

    Hello! Hi David,
    I have sucessfully installed and compiled PostgreSQL 7.0 to
    WinNT 4.0 Workstation Service Pack 6
    My machine is a dual PIII-500 workstation (in case it can cause
    problems)
    The initdb script works as it should and everything works fine and
    runs smoothly until I try to start a program or a script that wants
    a connection to the postmaster.

    As an example:
    -----------------
    bash-2.02$ ipc-daemon.exe &
    [1] 1016
    bash-2.02$ postmaster -i &
    [2] 1017
    bash-2.02$ createdb testing
    psql: connectDBStart() -- socket() failed: errno=106
    Addresses in the specified family cannot be used with this socket
    createdb: database creation failed
    ------------------

    Any hints ?
    Hmm.. I also built the binary for NT on Cygwin B20.1. The binary is at:

    ftp://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/binary/v7.0/NT/

    I think the PostgreSQL only runs on Cygwin.
    +------------------------------------------+----------------------+
    David Lofstrand - Programmer | Surgical Science AB |
    davidl<NO_SPAMMING>@surgical-science.com | Medicinareg 3A |
    Tel: +46 (0)31-74 11 804 | SE-413 46 Gothenburg |
    Fax: +46 (0)31-74 11 701 | SWEDEN |
    +------------------------------------------+----------------------+
    - Kevin
  • Dan Rosner at May 29, 2000 at 4:49 am

    Kevin Lo wrote:

    David Lofsstrand wrote:
    Hello! Hi David,
[...]

    Hejsan!

    Are you running NT with service pack 6 or 6a? I recall having
    a similar problem with postgres on NT and it cleared up
    after installing 6a. I believe it is mentioned somewhere
    in the ports archive as well.

    Can you get the psql interpreter to work? Try:

    psql -i localhost template1

    and then:

    create database testing;

    --
    Dan Rosner
    Cascade Programming Group

    Dan Rosner wrote:

    Hejsan!

    Are you running NT with service pack 6 or 6a? I recall having
    a similar problem with postgres on NT and it cleared up
    after installing 6a. I believe it is mentioned somewhere
    in the ports archive as well.

    Can you get the psql interpreter to work? Try:

    psql -i localhost template1

    and then:

    create database testing;

    --
    Dan Rosner
    Cascade Programming Group
    rosner@scn.org
    I have now installed SP6a but the problem is still there...
    Can the problem related to the IPC package?
    I've compiled & installed cygwin32_ipc-1.03
    I think it's not likely since it should produce some
    ipc-errors as well, but you never know...
    I'm also using Cygwin B20.1, I have also edited the
    pgsql_dir/data/hba.conf so it contains the lines:
    local all trust
    host all 127.0.0.1 my.subnet.mask.number trust
    host all my.ip.number my.subnet.mask.number trust

    further I have created the /etc/passwd and /etc/group in cygwin...
    and generally followed the NT-port guide

    --
    +-------------------------------+----------------------+
    David Loefstrand - Programmer | Surgical Science AB |
    Tel: +46 (0)31-74 11 804 | SE-413 46 Gothenburg |
    Fax: +46 (0)31-74 11 701 | SWEDEN |
    +-------------------------------+----------------------+
  • Dan Rosner at May 30, 2000 at 4:23 am

    David Löfstrand wrote:

    I have now installed SP6a but the problem is still there...
    Can the problem related to the IPC package?
    I've compiled & installed cygwin32_ipc-1.03
    I think it's not likely since it should produce some
    ipc-errors as well, but you never know...
    I'm also using Cygwin B20.1, I have also edited the
    pgsql_dir/data/hba.conf so it contains the lines:
    local all trust
    host all 127.0.0.1 my.subnet.mask.number trust
    host all my.ip.number my.subnet.mask.number trust

    further I have created the /etc/passwd and /etc/group in cygwin...
    and generally followed the NT-port guide
    Did you run postgres with a patched ipc-daemon? The unpatched daemon
    has a
    semaphore bug which causes spinlocks.

    Try to use this one (patched and compiled) that Alexei Zakharov
    pointed out to me:

    http://www.s34.co.jp/~luster/pgsql/cygwin32_ipc-1.03-bin-patched.tar.bz2

    Or search the list to find and apply the patch yourself.

    Dan

    --

    Dan Rosner
    Cascade Programming Group

    Joost Kraaijeveld
    Askesis B.V.
    Molukkenstraat 14
    6524NB Nijmegen
    tel: 024-3888063 / 06-51855277
    fax: 024-3608416
    email: J.Kraaijeveld@Askesis.nl
    web: www.askesis.nl
  • Horák Daniel at May 30, 2000 at 9:05 am

    I have now installed SP6a but the problem is still there...
    Can the problem related to the IPC package?
    I've compiled & installed cygwin32_ipc-1.03
    this is the buggy version, the newest version is at
    http://cygutils.netpedia.net/V1.1/cygipc-1.05/index.html

    Dan

grouppgsql-ports @
categoriespostgresql