Hello,

right now I'm evaluating the PostgreSQL and it seems to be the big bang for
us.
But also it is quite important to have a good performance on several
platforms
i.e. WindowsNT , Linux etc.

My question now is: Is there a difference in performance? I read on Windows
it is running
using CygWin, are there any experiences of disadvantages because of that?

Also I read it was a Java database, so my question: Is it a Java database or
is it done
in C++?

Are there any restrictions of the features or performance on any platform?

Thanks for your help
Erwin Selg

Search Discussions

  • Palle Girgensohn at Mar 1, 2000 at 3:13 pm

    Erwin Selg wrote:

    right now I'm evaluating the PostgreSQL and it seems to be
    the big bang for us.
    Sounds great.

    [...]
    Also I read it was a Java database, so my question: Is it
    a Java database or is it done
    in C++?
    PostgreSQL has support for Javs's JDBC API. PostgreSQL itself is entirely written i C (not C++), but that will hardly matter for you. We use it mainly with applications written entirely in Java.
    Are there any restrictions of the features or performance
    on any platform?
    I almost complies to SQL-92. The major feature that does not exist in the 6.5.x branch is outer joins. My guess is it will be in version 7.

    Cheers
    Palle
  • Thomas Lockhart at Mar 1, 2000 at 4:29 pm

    I almost complies to SQL-92. The major feature that does not exist in the
    6.5.x branch is outer joins. My guess is it will be in version 7.
    No outer joins in v7.0. But we have laid some groundwork for them, and
    hope to have more sometime soon.

    And as an aside, "SQL92" is actually broken up into three levels. We
    claim to be "an extended subset", much like other commercial DBs, and
    I'm pretty sure we cover most of the basic and much of the
    intermediate levels of the standard. Outer joins are definitely *not*
    in the basic level of the specification.

    - Thomas

    --
    Thomas Lockhart lockhart@alumni.caltech.edu
    South Pasadena, California
    right now I'm evaluating the PostgreSQL and it seems to be the big bang for
    us.
    But also it is quite important to have a good performance on several
    platforms
    i.e. WindowsNT , Linux etc.

    My question now is: Is there a difference in performance? I read on Windows
    it is running
    using CygWin, are there any experiences of disadvantages because of that?

    The performance on WinNT is lower than e.g. on Linux and this is due the
    Cygwin layer because it has to translate unix calls into win32 calls. And
    that is not an easy task ;-)

    Also I read it was a Java database, so my question: Is it a Java database or
    is it done
    in C++?

    PostgreSQL is written in C. But you can use the client side from C, C++,
    Tcl, Java and maybe other languages.

    Are there any restrictions of the features or performance on any platform?

    The WinNT version of PostgreSQL has the same features as other ports.

    Dan

grouppgsql-ports @
categoriespostgresql
postedMar 1, '00 at 2:49p