I have your Postgresql server running on my Linux (RH 5.2). I must say I am
pleased with it's performance. I have, however, encountered a situation I can
not figure out how to resolve. I have partitioned my system in the following
manner:

Filesystem 1024-blocks Used Available Capacity Mounted on
/dev/hda2 35132 29158 4160 88% /
/dev/hda3 3901 593 3107 16% /boot
/dev/hda8 21438 6211 14120 31% /home
/dev/hda6 347375 233681 95754 71% /usr
/dev/hda5 550279 1006 520849 0% /usr/database
/dev/hda7 50717 49921 0 100% /usr/src

The idea is to have my Databases (data) reside on hda5 (for easy backup).
postmaster etc. reside on hda6. I had originally setup a database ('diplinedb')
in /usr/lib/ (will I was learning the system), then attempted to migrate it to
/usr/database, using all of the "secondary location" instructions (initlocation,
initdb, $PGDATA2). I start postmaster with either "postmaster -i -D $PGDATA2"
(PGDATA2 = /usr/database) or "postmaster -i -D /usr/database" and still my data
goes to /usr/lib. I think I read somewhere that postmaster will not traverse
partitions (hda6 -> hda5), is this the case? If so, is there a way around this,
or do I just need to bite the bullet and repartition the system so that my
PGDATA2 and postmaster reside on the same partition?

Thanks Brad

grouppgsql-ports @
categoriespostgresql
postedFeb 18, '00 at 12:26p