I am trying to install postgres but I am having to hardwire everything.
I type echo $PATH
and /usr/local/pgsql/bin is there.
I type echo $PGDATA
and /usr/local/pgsql/data is there
I type echo $PGLIB
and /usr/local/pgsql/lib comes up.

I can't run the postgres programs from anywhere but the bin directory
so it is not using the path. and in all of the scripts I had to add the
path to all of the commands. I can't run the programs without the
direct switches. I have to type --pgdata= and --pglib= so the variables
aren't being read. I can't add users because it can't find the pg_user
table. I ran initdb after hardwiring the command paths and it ran
without problem and all the files seem to be there. Postmaster started
without complaint with the -D switch.

I am using RedHat 6.1. Do you have any idea why the variable statements
aren't working right?

grouppgsql-ports @
categoriespostgresql
postedFeb 10, '00 at 9:22p