Hi,

I'm installing postgres 6.5.3 on NT and I got it to work for user
"postgres".

However, I would like to be logged in as myself and be able to run it
directly. So, I removed the installation and reinstalled it and now I get a
weird error in initdb:

bash-2.02$ initdb --username=jskakkebaek
: not found
: not found
: not found
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb: 74: Syntax error: expecting "in"

The error apparently concerns line 74:

case "$1" in

I've tried for quite a while to understand the problem but have failed.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks very much in advance,

Jens Skakkebaek
jskakkebaek@adomo.com

Search Discussions

  • Horák Daniel at Feb 7, 2000 at 11:34 am

    However, I would like to be logged in as myself and be able to run it
    directly. So, I removed the installation and reinstalled it
    and now I get a
    weird error in initdb:

    bash-2.02$ initdb --username=jskakkebaek
    : not found
    : not found
    : not found
    /usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb: 74: Syntax error: expecting "in"

    The error apparently concerns line 74:

    case "$1" in

    I've tried for quite a while to understand the problem but
    have failed.
    Please check the style of line ends - LF vs. CR+LF. On drives mounted with
    -b you should have only LF, on drivers without -b (it's standard) there
    should be CR+LF.

    To delete the CR character you can use this command: "tr -d "\r" < initdb
    initdb.new; mv initdb.new initdb".
    Dan

grouppgsql-ports @
categoriespostgresql
postedFeb 6, '00 at 12:04a
activeFeb 7, '00 at 11:34a
websitepostgresql.org
irc#postgresql

2 users in discussion

Jens Skakkebaek: 1 post Horák Daniel: 1 post