I have installed version 6.5 on Solaris 7, Intel. I used gcc-2.95.1 and
gnu make to build.

Here is the result of initdb and postmaster -i:
cr-jay.com% initdb

We are initializing the database system with username postgres (uid=1003).
This user will own all the files and must also own the server process.

Creating Postgres database system directory /usr/local/pgsql/data

Creating Postgres database system directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/base

Creating template database in /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/template1

Creating global classes in /usr/local/pgsql/data/base

Adding template1 database to pg_database...

Vacuuming template1
Creating public pg_user view
Creating view pg_rules
Creating view pg_views
Creating view pg_tables
Creating view pg_indexes
cr-jay.com% postmaster -i
IpcMemoryCreate: shmget failed (Invalid argument) key=5432001,
size=1063936, permission=600
FATAL 1: ShmemCreate: cannot create region

Note postmaster without the '-i' also failed with the same message.

Christopher R. Jones, P.Eng.
14 Oneida Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M5J 2E3
Tel. 416 203-7465
Fax. 416 203-3044
Email cj@interlog.com

Search Discussions

  • Palle Girgensohn at Feb 3, 2000 at 6:52 pm
    Hi!

    You should check the mail archives. I've seen this happen before. It has to do with SysV shared memory failed.

    Cheers,
    Palle

    "Christopher R. Jones" wrote:
    cr-jay.com% postmaster -i
    IpcMemoryCreate: shmget failed (Invalid argument) key=5432001,
    size=1063936, permission=600
    FATAL 1: ShmemCreate: cannot create region

grouppgsql-ports @
categoriespostgresql
postedFeb 3, '00 at 4:09p
activeFeb 3, '00 at 6:52p