Hi -,
I have a very peculiar situation.

I am running a postgres 7.4.6 database. It is running slow....... .
I vacuum --analyze daily. I just did again.
I did a vacuum full last night.

But to no avail. CPU usage and memory are normal, but the system is
crawling.

Here is the info from vacuum.

CPU 0.02s/0.01u sec elapsed 0.02 sec.
INFO: free space map: 167 relations, 1412 pages stored; 3440 total pages
needed
DETAIL: Allocated FSM size: 1000 relations + 20000 pages = 178 kB shared
memory.
VACUUM

Is there anything else I should be looking at like FSM configuration in the
conf file?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Radhika

--
It is all a matter of perspective. You choose your view by choosing where to
stand. --Larry Wall

Search Discussions

  • Bill Moran at Oct 9, 2007 at 8:19 pm

    Hi -,
    I have a very peculiar situation.

    I am running a postgres 7.4.6 database. It is running slow....... .
    7.4.6 is very old. You're lucky it hasn't corrupted your data. At
    least upgrade to the latest 7.4.18 (yes, that's 12 patches ahead of
    you). Optimally, upgrade to 8.2.5, which has a huge number of
    performance improvements.
    I vacuum --analyze daily. I just did again.
    I did a vacuum full last night.

    But to no avail. CPU usage and memory are normal, but the system is
    crawling.
    You need to specifically define "crawling" before anyone will be able
    to provide any useful advice. What queries are running slow? What
    does the explain output look like? The answers are in the details,
    so we can't provide the answers unless you provide the details. Like
    the OS you're running it on, for example.
    Here is the info from vacuum.

    CPU 0.02s/0.01u sec elapsed 0.02 sec.
    INFO: free space map: 167 relations, 1412 pages stored; 3440 total pages
    needed
    DETAIL: Allocated FSM size: 1000 relations + 20000 pages = 178 kB shared
    memory.
    VACUUM
    This doesn't look problematic, so I doubt your vacuum policy is to blame.

    --
    Bill Moran
    Collaborative Fusion Inc.

    wmoran@collaborativefusion.com