I have a batch file that runs the "pg_dump" command for several databases
that I have in a server. In order to make this process work in an unattended
manner, I set the database passwords in the "pgpass.conf" file but such a
file gets empty after a few days. I work in a Windows Server 2008
environment and the path for the passwords file is
"c:\users\servername\appdata\roaming\postgresql". I got such a path with the
echo %appdata" command from the command prompt. I have been trying to get an
idea of why this is happenning but I do not have a clue until now. I will
very much appreciate any comment.

Respectfully,
Jorge Maldonado

Search Discussions

  • Greg Sabino Mullane at Jul 12, 2011 at 3:16 pm

    I have a batch file that runs the "pg_dump" command for several databases
    that I have in a server. In order to make this process work in an unattended
    manner, I set the database passwords in the "pgpass.conf" file but such a
    file gets empty after a few days. I work in a Windows Server 2008
    environment and the path for the passwords file is
    "c:\users\servername\appdata\roaming\postgresql". I got such a path with the
    echo %appdata" command from the command prompt. I have been trying to get an
    idea of why this is happenning but I do not have a clue until now. I will
    very much appreciate any comment.
    If you mean why it is emptying out, it is certainly not being done by Postgres
    or the pg_dump program. As the name of the path has "roaming" in it, perhaps
    Windows is copying over the blank file from somewhere else, perhaps when the
    user logs in / log out?

    - --
    Greg Sabino Mullane greg@turnstep.com
    PGP Key: 0x14964AC8 201107121110