Hi all,

I just installed PG 9 on my Macbook (enterprisedb) just to start playing
around with it. My Postgres 8.4 installation won't start now anymore, it
is complaining about shared memory already being in use.

Is it even possible to run PG 8 and PG 9 side by side? I was under the
impression this was possible provided they listen on different ports?

Thanks,

Bastiaan Olij

Search Discussions

  • Tom Lane at Mar 22, 2011 at 10:30 pm

    Bastiaan Olij writes:
    I just installed PG 9 on my Macbook (enterprisedb) just to start playing
    around with it. My Postgres 8.4 installation won't start now anymore, it
    is complaining about shared memory already being in use.
    Is it even possible to run PG 8 and PG 9 side by side? I was under the
    impression this was possible provided they listen on different ports?
    Yes, it is, but the default SHMMAX on OS X is too small to allow
    starting two postmasters at once. Crank up the shmem settings (see
    our manual for details) and you should be fine.

    regards, tom lane

grouppgsql-novice @
categoriespostgresql
postedMar 22, '11 at 9:52p