Hi
i am novice postgr sql user.

I have created a table named customer in my data base.
also i have inserter some of the rows into my table.
when i try to execute this command to select object id's (oid) i am getting
following error.

select oid from customer;
error: column oid doesn't exist

note: even though i have changed the
default_with_oids = on in postgreconf file,i am not getting the oid's.

my postgre sql version is 8.4

but when i try to select oid's for already existed tables in pg_catalogue
the output is coming
for eg: select oid from pg_proc;

please reply

thanks & regards
sivakiran.B

Search Discussions

  • Chetan Suttraway at Mar 10, 2011 at 9:47 am

    I have created a table named customer in my data base.
    also i have inserter some of the rows into my table.
    when i try to execute this command to select object id's (oid) i am getting
    following error.

    select oid from customer;
    error: column oid doesn't exist

    note: even though i have changed the
    default_with_oids = on in postgreconf file,i am not getting the oid's.

    my postgre sql version is 8.4

    but when i try to select oid's for already existed tables in pg_catalogue
    the output is coming
    for eg: select oid from pg_proc;

    please reply

    thanks & regards
    sivakiran.B
    let me share this simple test case:
    pg=# create table myt(a int)with oids;
    CREATE TABLE
    pg=# select * from myt;
    ---
    (0 rows)

    pg=# insert into myt values(1);
    INSERT 16387 1

    pg=# select a, oid from myt;
    a | oid
    ---+-------
    (1 row)

    Please read this section:
    http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/sql-createtable.html
    http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/sql-createtable.html#SQL-CREATETABLE-STORAGE-PARAMETERS

    --
    Chetan Sutrave
    Senior Software Engineer

    Website: www.enterprisedb.com
    EnterpriseDB Blog: http://blogs.enterprisedb.com/
    Follow us on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/enterprisedb

    This e-mail message (and any attachment) is intended for the use of the
    individual or entity to whom it is addressed. This message contains
    information from EnterpriseDB Corporation that may be privileged,
    confidential, or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not
    the intended recipient or authorized to receive this for the intended
    recipient, any use, dissemination, distribution, retention, archiving, or
    copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received
    this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail
    and delete this message.
  • Vibhor Kumar at Mar 10, 2011 at 9:56 am

    I have created a table named customer in my data base.
    also i have inserter some of the rows into my table.
    when i try to execute this command to select object id's (oid) i am getting following error.

    select oid from customer;
    error: column oid doesn't exist
    For old/Existing Table without OID, you can't get OID.
    note: even though i have changed the
    default_with_oids = on in postgreconf file,i am not getting the oid's.
    Setting Above parameter will make sure that new tables will get created with OIDs.
    i.e you don't have to mention WITH OID in CREATE TABLE Syntax.

    Thanks & Regards,
    Vibhor Kumar
    EnterpriseDB Corporation
    The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company