YAMAMOTO Takashi writes:
the attached patch is to avoid unnecessary detoast'ing and EOF marker pages
when possible. does it make sense?
The blob page size is already chosen not to allow for out-of-line
storage, not to mention that pg_largeobject doesn't have a TOAST table.
So I think avoiding detoasting is largely a waste of time. I'm
unexcited about the other consideration too --- it looks to me like it
just makes truncation slower, more complicated, and hence more
bug-prone, in return for a possible speedup that probably nobody will
ever notice.

regards, tom lane

Search Discussions

  • YAMAMOTO Takashi at Feb 1, 2011 at 8:35 am
    hi,

    thanks for taking a look.
    yamt@mwd.biglobe.ne.jp (YAMAMOTO Takashi) writes:
    the attached patch is to avoid unnecessary detoast'ing and EOF marker pages
    when possible. does it make sense?
    The blob page size is already chosen not to allow for out-of-line
    storage, not to mention that pg_largeobject doesn't have a TOAST table.
    So I think avoiding detoasting is largely a waste of time.
    doesn't detoasting involve decompression?
    I'm
    unexcited about the other consideration too --- it looks to me like it
    just makes truncation slower, more complicated, and hence more
    bug-prone, in return for a possible speedup that probably nobody will
    ever notice.
    slower? it depends, i guess.

    my primary motivation of that part of the patch was to save some space for
    certain workloads. (besides that, leaving unnecessary rows isn't neat,
    but it might be a matter of taste.)

    YAMAMOTO Takashi
    regards, tom lane