Hello. Excuse me, i need to do a pg_dump in my pgadmin 8.3 running in mac,
i've tried to do this via terminal typing pg_dump --help as in windows, however
it doesn't shows anything, could somebody please help me out with this please?
To resume, i have problems to run the pg_dump command in a mac. I'd really
appreciate any kind of information that you could provide me. Thousands of
thanks in advance.

Greetings.

If you need me to give you some info about my DB configuration i will willingly
provide it to you. Once again thanks.

Search Discussions

  • Tom Lane at Sep 22, 2010 at 8:10 pm

    Jorge Alberto Fuentes Casillas writes:
    Hello. Excuse me, i need to do a pg_dump in my pgadmin 8.3 running in mac,
    i've tried to do this via terminal typing pg_dump --help as in windows, however
    it doesn't shows anything, could somebody please help me out with this please?
    pg_dump --help works fine on my Mac. How did you install Postgres exactly?
    What *exactly* do you get when you run "pg_dump --help" in a Terminal
    window --- it's hard to believe it prints nothing at all.

    regards, tom lane
  • Tom Lane at Sep 22, 2010 at 10:15 pm

    Jorge Alberto Fuentes Casillas writes:
    Hello, thanks for the support, well, this is what i do:
    jfmac:~ jafc$ /Library/PostgreSQL/8.3/scripts/runpsql.sh; exit
    Server [localhost]: localhost
    Database [postgres]: gintratinylocal
    Port [5433]: 5433
    Username [postgres]: gintratinylocal
    Password for user gintratinylocal:
    Welcome to psql 8.3.10, the PostgreSQL interactive terminal.
    Type: \copyright for distribution terms
    \h for help with SQL commands
    \? for help with psql commands
    \q to quit
    gintratinylocal=# pg_dump --help
    gintratinylocal-#
    it prints nothing at all.
    pg_dump is a command-line program. You should call it directly from
    the shell prompt in the terminal window, not from inside psql. Or,
    if that "runpsql" script is setting up some environment for psql,
    maybe what you want to do is create a similar script to execute pg_dump.

    regards, tom lane

grouppgsql-novice @
categoriespostgresql
postedSep 22, '10 at 5:45p