Good day all

This is me again.

Does anybody know about resources or methods that can be used to Monitor postgresql performance specifrically for the purpose of creating monthly performance reports.

I have been searching around the net now for quite a while and I can find lots of info about performance tuning, however nothing thus far for monitoring performance on a postgresql database.

The situation I have at the moment is as follows:

We are managing a client site with 100 Postgresql databases (which I can just say is in a hectic state at present).

We need to provide the client with a monthly performance report on all the databases (the 100 databases are spread across 13 servers so running it per server might be a good idea).

So far however I have not been able to find any info on how to monitor the database performance.

I did find something called pgstatspack, however this gives a text based presentation of info per database and runnign this for 100 Databases will be a mission especially if this needs to be placed into a report at the end of the month.

The client is running a nagios monitoring system but Postgresql is not being monitored at present.

If there is anyone that can assist in this or provide some good resources on the subject I would greatly appreciate it.

Even if we can find some info on what to monitor and how to do this via scripting for nagios then we can at least integrate this with the nagios graphing.

Regards
Machiel

Search Discussions

  • Brad Nicholson at Aug 19, 2010 at 2:16 pm

    Does anybody know about resources or methods that can be used to
    Monitor postgresql performance specifrically for the purpose of
    creating monthly performance reports.
    What sort of performance data are looking at reporting?

    The situation I have at the moment is as follows:

    We are managing a client site with 100 Postgresql databases
    (which I can just say is in a hectic state at present).

    We need to provide the client with a monthly performance report
    on all the databases (the 100 databases are spread across 13 servers
    so running it per server might be a good idea).

    So far however I have not been able to find any info on how to
    monitor the database performance.

    I did find something called pgstatspack, however this gives a text
    based presentation of info per database and runnign this for 100
    Databases will be a mission especially if this needs to be placed into
    a report at the end of the month.
    Pgstatspack is an excellent tool. The raw data is all stored in the
    respective databases, and the reporter script is quiet easy to read.
    All of the queries are fairly straight forward, it shouldn't be too much
    work to extract them and put them into your own script that can run
    across all of your databases in an automated fashion.

    --
    Brad Nicholson 416-673-4106

grouppgsql-novice @
categoriespostgresql