Dear all,

I want to install postgresql-8.4.1-1-windows.exe, however when I click
the exe file, a Visual studio JIT Debugger was appeared with message "An
unhandled win32 exception occurred in postgresql-8.4.1-1-windows.exe[240].

Also I do not have admin priviledges, so I decide to install it by ZIP
archive binaries.

I have read a post
http://www.nabble.com/how-to-install-postgresql-on-windows-without-admin-privileges-td25155968.html
http://www.nabble.com/how-to-install-postgresql-on-windows-without-admin-privileges-td25155968.html
but do not know how to "run initdb from the commandline to create the
database cluster. To start the server, simply run "pg_ctl -D
\Path\To\Datadir start".
Can anyone tell me how to do this?

Moreover, what is the difference between the two methods of installations?
(from exe and binaries)
My OS system is windows XP.
Thanks

Newperson

  • Raghu ram at Sep 11, 2009 at 8:46 am

[...]

    Using binaries you have to create the database cluster and start the service
    manually.

    Creation of database cluster using initdb.exe binaries and start the
    postgres service using pg_ctl.exe binaries in command prompt as follows:-

    C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.3\bin>initdb.exe –D < data directory path>

    C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.3\bin>pg_ctl.exe –D < data directory path>
    start

    Using postgresql-8.4.1-1-windows.exe, installer will creates the database
    cluster and start the Postgres service automatically. download the one click
    installer from below link

    http://www.enterprisedb.com/products/pgbindownload.do

    Thanks & Regards
    Raghu Ram