Hi Folks:
Recently I had a postgres instance shut down & restart, and I'm trying
to understand why. I'm running 8.3.5 on solaris 10, with the data
directory on a netapp. The postgres log shows an error associated with
some of the critical application tables not existing, then it was unable
to write to the log, then a sigabrt. Not long after postgres recovered.
There were no errors in the application (other than yelling about not
having a database), no syslog errors on the zone, no errors on the
netapp, no known break in connectivity. I ran a vacuum analyze based on
one posting I saw on this list, and things seem fine.

My questions are
- any idea what happened? Are there other things I should check?
- what should I do to ensure there is no data corruption?

Related pg log entries...
cpas 2009-03-02 14:56:32 PSTERROR: relation "exp.domainproperty" does
not exist
cpas 2009-03-02 14:58:34 PSTPANIC: could not write to log file 93,
segment 240 at offset 9560064, length 8192: Interrupted system call
@- 2009-03-02 14:58:37 PSTLOG: server process (PID 19257) was
terminated by signal 6
@- 2009-03-02 14:58:37 PSTLOG: terminating any other active server
processes
cpas 2009-03-02 14:58:37 PSTWARNING: terminating connection because of
crash of another server process
Thanks for the help!
Mija

confidential, proprietary, and/or privileged information protected by
law. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not use, copy, or
distribute this e-mail message or its attachments. If you believe you
have received this e-mail message in error, please contact the sender by

  • Tom Lane at Mar 3, 2009 at 2:47 am

    "Lee, Mija" <mija@scharp.org> writes:
    Recently I had a postgres instance shut down & restart, and I'm trying
    to understand why. I'm running 8.3.5 on solaris 10, with the data
    directory on a netapp. The postgres log shows an error associated with
    some of the critical application tables not existing, then it was unable
    to write to the log, then a sigabrt.
    cpas 2009-03-02 14:58:34 PSTPANIC: could not write to log file 93,
    segment 240 at offset 9560064, length 8192: Interrupted system call
    EINTR? Hmm, I wonder if you have the data directory on a "soft" NFS
    mount? We tend not to trust NFS too much at all around here, but if
    you have to use it, hard-mount is more reliable than soft.

    regards, tom lane
  • Lee, Mija at Mar 3, 2009 at 5:51 pm
    Thanks for the response, Tom. We do have hard mounts, and unfortunately,
    we are dependent on nfs.

    Recently I had a postgres instance shut down & restart, and I'm trying
    to understand why. I'm running 8.3.5 on solaris 10, with the data
    directory on a netapp. The postgres log shows an error associated with
    some of the critical application tables not existing, then it was unable
    to write to the log, then a sigabrt.
    cpas 2009-03-02 14:58:34 PSTPANIC: could not write to log file 93,
    segment 240 at offset 9560064, length 8192: Interrupted system call
    EINTR? Hmm, I wonder if you have the data directory on a "soft" NFS
    mount? We tend not to trust NFS too much at all around here, but if
    you have to use it, hard-mount is more reliable than soft.

    regards, tom lane

grouppgsql-novice @
categoriespostgresql
postedMar 3, '09 at 1:09a