All,

I was creating a simple database for testing, as I created this table here
is the response I got from the DB:

NOTICE: CREATE TABLE will create implicit sequence "movies_movie_id_seq"
for serial column "movies.movie_id"
NOTICE: CREATE TABLE / PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index
"movies_pkey" for table "movies"

Query OK, 0 rows affected (1.391 sec)

Here is the script I ran:

create table movies (
movie_id serial not null,
title varchar(255) not null,
ranking int,

primary key (movie_id)
);

I am the only one accessing this server and DB. This table creation seems
slow. The server is running on VMWare and has about 1GB of memory but this
time for table creation seems slow. I am relatively new to Postgres and
was wondering if there is a setting or adjustment that can be done to
speed this up or is the time for this process about right. My thoughts are
that an out of the box install should be sufficient but I think more
adjustment is required.

Any thoughts or opinions appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Kulmacet

Search Discussions

  • ries van Twisk at Feb 9, 2009 at 12:51 pm

[...]

    What timings would you expect??

    Try to create a second table and/or a third table and see if there is
    any difference.
    If you 'just' freshly start any DB (not only PG) then the first
    operations
    might be 'slow' due to caching or various other reasons I cannot
    explain :) .
    For me that table created in 350ms after PG has been idle on my
    desktop for a day. Second table created in 35ms.

    Don't expect a DB to create tables in the order of us....

    PS: I might already know, running PG in vmware is just fine on a
    development machine, but better to run it directly
    on your favorite OS. Just don't run PG in vmware under production.

    Ries
  • Sean Davis at Feb 9, 2009 at 1:01 pm