Howdy.

Once a database is created , is there any easy way to change its encoding?

I have several created with SQL_ASCII encoding, which I now realize is an encoding not very recommendable.

Nothing is said here about that.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/multibyte.html

Is it possible?

Best,
Oliveiros

Search Discussions

  • Tom Lane at Jan 5, 2009 at 6:12 pm

    "Oliveiros Cristina" <oliveiros.cristina@marktest.pt> writes:
    Once a database is created , is there any easy way to change its encoding?
    Nope --- you have to dump and reload into a new database created with
    the correct encoding setting.
    I have several created with SQL_ASCII encoding, which I now realize is
    an encoding not very recommendable.
    The problem with SQL_ASCII is that you don't really know what encoding
    you've got, so even "dump and reload" may not be enough --- you may have
    to fix any encoding problems that are in the data now. I'd suggest
    pg_dump into plain text format so you can massage the data easily.

    regards, tom lane

grouppgsql-novice @
categoriespostgresql
postedJan 5, '09 at 4:37p
activeJan 5, '09 at 6:12p
websitepostgresql.org
irc#postgresql

2 users in discussion

Oliveiros Cristina: 1 post Tom Lane: 1 post