Hi all,

I would like to be able to query some systems table or view to
obtain the creation data of a table. INFORMATION_SCHEMA does not seem
to record this information. Does postgres store it somewhere?

I need this for a PHP/postgres application which creates temporary
tables which should be cleaned up when my application finishes. But
sometimes they aren't., so I have to write code to find these tables and
drop them. There is a better solution -- to use CREATE TEMPORARY
TABLE. But to do this I would have to use PHP persistent data base
connections which, unlike the ordinary connections which my application
currently uses, drop and recreate connections when I move from one page
to another.
Changing means a significant code rewrite. I could, of course, encode
the creation date into the name of the table.

But I would like to know how to find the creation date of a table.

Thanks in advance

Mary Anderson

Search Discussions

  • Tom Lane at Nov 17, 2008 at 5:15 pm

    Mary Anderson writes:
    I would like to be able to query some systems table or view to
    obtain the creation data of a table. INFORMATION_SCHEMA does not seem
    to record this information. Does postgres store it somewhere?
    No.

    regards, tom lane
  • Michael Swierczek at Nov 17, 2008 at 6:19 pm
    Would it make sense to have a permanent table with the names of
    temporary tables and their creation dates?

    On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 11:53 AM, Mary Anderson