Hello,

We clearly have a bug in our application: sometimes for reasons we
have not been able to understand yet, the application will start
creating connection like madness (several dozens in a matter of
minutes). This eats up too quickly the number of connections we have
available on the server and is not healthy anyway.

We have narrowed the problem down to only 2 users having had this
issue over the past few days.

Whilst we are investigating what happens I am wondering if there are
anyway to limit the number of connection a specific IP address can
make to a server; this would not solve the user's issue but prevent it
from spreading and affecting every other users.

I googled but did not find anything remotely related to this.

Thanks for your thoughts

Didier

Search Discussions

  • Andreas Kretschmer at Apr 24, 2008 at 9:28 am

    am Thu, dem 24.04.2008, um 11:18:19 +0200 mailte Didier Gasser-Morlay folgendes:
    Hello,

    We clearly have a bug in our application: sometimes for reasons we
    have not been able to understand yet, the application will start
    creating connection like madness (several dozens in a matter of
    minutes). This eats up too quickly the number of connections we have
    available on the server and is not healthy anyway.

    We have narrowed the problem down to only 2 users having had this
    issue over the past few days.

    Whilst we are investigating what happens I am wondering if there are
    anyway to limit the number of connection a specific IP address can
    make to a server; this would not solve the user's issue but prevent it
    from spreading and affecting every other users.
    Do you have a own user for this connection? If so, you can limit the
    connections per user, see alter user <name> connection limit <limit>.

    I don't know a way to set a limit per IP with postgresql, but i think,
    you can do that with iptables (depending on your operating system).

    Andreas
    --
    Andreas Kretschmer
    Kontakt: Heynitz: 035242/47150, D1: 0160/7141639 (mehr: -> Header)

grouppgsql-novice @
categoriespostgresql
postedApr 24, '08 at 9:18a
activeApr 24, '08 at 9:28a