Ok,

You guys must be getting sick of these newbie questions, but I can't
resist since I am learning a lot from these email lists and getting
results quick! Thanks to everyone for their contributions.

Here is my questions....

I have a column that looks like this

firstname
-----------------
John B
Mark A
Jennifer D

Basically I have the first name followed by a middle initial. Is there a
quick command I can run to strip the middle initial? Basically, I just
need to delete the middle initial so the column would then look like the
following:

firstname
---------------
John
Mark
Jennifer

Thanks again for all of your help today. Everything you guys have been
sending has produced successful results.

Thanks.

Search Discussions

  • Derrick Betts at Jun 25, 2007 at 5:55 pm
    I would use the same string functions and tools that you used in the
    previous solution. Look for whitespace, and then break up the string
    based on that character. The function list is located here for your
    reference: http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/functions-string.html

    Joshua wrote:
[...]

    http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq

  • Andreas Kretschmer at Jun 25, 2007 at 6:07 pm

    am Mon, dem 25.06.2007, um 12:44:25 -0500 mailte Joshua folgendes:
[...]

    Yes, of course:

    test=# select split_part('My Name', ' ', 1);
    split_part
    ------------
    My
    (1 row)

    And now, i think, you should read our fine manual:
    http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/

    Andreas
    --
    Andreas Kretschmer
    Kontakt: Heynitz: 035242/47150, D1: 0160/7141639 (mehr: -> Header)

    http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/functions.html

    That said, you might try:

    UPDATE mytable SET firstname = TRIM(SUBSTRING(firstname,1,position(' '
    in firstname)));

    Charley

    Joshua wrote:
[...]

grouppgsql-novice @