are there something like variables on the server-side that can be set by
the client?

e.g. I'd like to store the user-id who created or updated a record.
I've allready got a trigger that sets a timestamp whenever a record is
updated. It was cute if I could let this triggers store the user-id, too.

I'd like to open a connection when the client application starts.
The client should set a variable userid within this connection and
every trigger would know who uses this connection right now.

BTW ... How would I use this variable as a DEFAULT value when it should
be set just at the creation time of the record?
something like a collumn:
created_by_fk integer not null default userid,

How could I use such a variables value in views?

Search Discussions

  • Andreas Kretschmer at Apr 12, 2007 at 5:17 am

    am Thu, dem 12.04.2007, um 5:33:30 +0200 mailte Andreas folgendes:
    Hi,

    are there something like variables on the server-side that can be set by
    the client?

    e.g. I'd like to store the user-id who created or updated a record.
    I've allready got a trigger that sets a timestamp whenever a record is
    updated. It was cute if I could let this triggers store the user-id, too.
    If you mean with user-id the name of the current user, just use
    current_user.

    I'd like to open a connection when the client application starts.
    The client should set a variable userid within this connection and
    every trigger would know who uses this connection right now.

    BTW ... How would I use this variable as a DEFAULT value when it should
    be set just at the creation time of the record?
    something like a collumn:
    created_by_fk integer not null default userid,
    text default current_user

    How could I use such a variables value in views?
    select ... from your_view where created_by_fk = current_user

    Andreas
    --
    Andreas Kretschmer
    Kontakt: Heynitz: 035242/47150, D1: 0160/7141639 (mehr: -> Header)

    A. Kretschmer schrieb:
[...]

grouppgsql-novice @
categoriespostgresql
postedApr 12, '07 at 3:33a
activeApr 12, '07 at 5:56p
websitepostgresql.org
irc#postgresql

2 users in discussion

Andreas: 2 posts Andreas Kretschmer: 1 post