Hi

I am trying to implement backup and restore feature.

For backup I am issuing the command from windows cmd prompt:

C:\ [path to pg_dump.exe ]\pg_dump.exe -i -h localhost -p 5432 -U postgres
-F c -b -v -f C:\MyBackups\db_backup.backup mydb

For restore I am issuing the following command:

C:\[path to pg_restore.exe ]\pg_restore.exe -i -h localhost -p 5432 -U
postgres -d mydb -c -v C:\MyBackups\db_backup.backup

The above 2 commands working perfect while database is online (running).

However the problem is they are not working while database is offline
(database shutdown)

It is showing the following error message:

pg_dump: [archiver (db)] connection to database "mydb" failed: could not
connect
to server: Connection refused (0x0000274D/10061)
Is the server running on host "localhost" and accepting
TCP/IP connections on port 5432?
pg_dump: *** aborted because of error

Is it possible to backup & restore the database offline? If so what is the
problem in my command.

Please help me.

Thanks

Sreeman

Search Discussions

  • Richard Broersma Jr at Sep 5, 2006 at 2:27 pm

[...]
    The error message you received is correct due to what you are trying to achieve. When you
    shutdown the postmaster, there is no longer any PostgreSQL service to process any of your
    commands.

    The only way that I can think of to back-up the database while the postgresql service is down, is
    to copy the entire postgresql data directory to another location. However, I highly doubt this is
    what you really want. However if you know what you are doing it is possible but less safe than a
    regular pg_dump'ed file.

    Regards,

    Richard Broersma Jr.
  • John Purser at Sep 5, 2006 at 2:40 pm

[...]

    Morning Sreeman,

    The backup and restore commands are commands TO a running instance of
    postgresql. Without the server running they can't do anything. If
    you're looking for a backup solution that doesn't require a running
    instance of postgresql then look at doing a file system backup. For
    this method to work postgresql CAN'T be running so you have to shut it
    down before backing up and before restoring.

    I do believe most people use the pgdump or pgdumpall method rather than
    the file system method.

    John Purser

grouppgsql-novice @
categoriespostgresql