Hi All,

Is it possible to set up incremental backups on Postgres 7.3.2?

From what I have read so far, I think archiving WAL logs and the database file system is the key to achieving incremental backup, but I am not really sure on how to go about it. Can someone please point me to some good online reading material on this?

Thanks,
Sincerely,
Saranya

---------------------------------

  • Tom Lane at Aug 21, 2006 at 7:08 pm

    Saranya Sivakumar writes:
    Is it possible to set up incremental backups on Postgres 7.3.2?
    Nope, 8.0 is the first release that supports that. 7.3.2 is very old
    and has many known bugs, so you ought to think about an upgrade anyway.
    (Or at least get yourself onto 7.3.15, the latest 7.3 release.)

    regards, tom lane
  • Saranya Sivakumar at Aug 21, 2006 at 7:18 pm
    Hi Tom,

    Thank you for the information. We are planning to upgrade to the latest version soon, but in the meanwhile we wanted to have a hot-backup by doing the incremental dumps.

    I think I will go ahead with the upgrade to 7.3.15 first.
    I wouldn't need to do a dump/restore to upgrade from 7.3.2 to 7.3.15, right?

    Thanks,
    Sincerely,
    Saranya