I have installed PostgreSQL 8.1.3 on Macintosh OS X.4. I'm seeing
this:

protoaddress=# \q
could not save history to file "/Users/qdu/.psql_history": Unknown
error: 0

In fact the session is written to .psql_history... but like this:

\\q
\\d
\\dD
create\040domain\040name_code\040text;
create\040domain\040incidence\040date;
drop\040domain\040name_code;
create\040domain\040namecode\040text;
create\040table\040all_incidences\040(namecode\040namecode,\040incidence\040incidence,\040primary\040key\040(namecode,\040incidence));
\\d\040all_incidences
\\q

I.e. backspaces escaped and spaces as octal escape sequences.

Help welcome.

Search Discussions

  • Tom Lane at Apr 19, 2006 at 1:41 am

    Michael Talbot-Wilson writes:
    I have installed PostgreSQL 8.1.3 on Macintosh OS X.4. I'm seeing
    this:
    protoaddress=# \q
    could not save history to file "/Users/qdu/.psql_history": Unknown
    error: 0
    Yeah, the libedit included in Darwin is almost but not quite compatible
    with libreadline. Best bet really is to grab a copy of readline and
    rebuild psql with that. (We've been looking at ways to handle Darwin's
    code too, but it seems to require ignoring possible errors, which
    doesn't sound attractive...)

    regards, tom lane
  • Michael Talbot-Wilson at Apr 19, 2006 at 4:07 am

    I have installed PostgreSQL 8.1.3 on Macintosh OS X.4. I'm seeing
    this:
    protoaddress=# \q
    could not save history to file "/Users/qdu/.psql_history": Unknown
    error: 0
    Yeah, the libedit included in Darwin is almost but not quite compatible
    with libreadline. Best bet really is to grab a copy of readline and
    rebuild psql with that. (We've been looking at ways to handle Darwin's
    Thanks. I didn't realise that I didn't have it. I checked. But now
    I check more closely I see that libreadline.dylib@ -> libedit.dylib.

grouppgsql-novice @
categoriespostgresql
postedApr 19, '06 at 12:08a
activeApr 19, '06 at 4:07a
websitepostgresql.org
irc#postgresql

2 users in discussion

Michael Talbot-Wilson: 2 posts Tom Lane: 1 post