hi all,

i'm trying to acces our new in-house pgsql server.
pgsql 8.0.3 is running on fc3.

i vpn into the company network, then i sign into the
fc3 server a "user" via an accuterm session.

i typed in

"psql -d mydb"

and received an error message that "user" isn't a
user.

does anyone know what i'm doing wrong?

tia...

__________________________________
http://mail.yahoo.com

Search Discussions

  • Sean Davis at Sep 23, 2005 at 5:15 pm

    i'm trying to acces our new in-house pgsql server.
    pgsql 8.0.3 is running on fc3.

    i vpn into the company network, then i sign into the
    fc3 server a "user" via an accuterm session.

    i typed in

    "psql -d mydb"

    and received an error message that "user" isn't a
    user.

    does anyone know what i'm doing wrong?
    Did someone do a createuser on your new server for the "user" in question?

    Sean
  • Operationsengineer1 at Sep 23, 2005 at 6:10 pm

    On 9/23/05 1:08 PM, "operationsengineer1@yahoo.com"
    i'm trying to acces our new in-house pgsql server.
    pgsql 8.0.3 is running on fc3.

    i vpn into the company network, then i sign into the
    fc3 server a "user" via an accuterm session.

    i typed in

    "psql -d mydb"

    and received an error message that "user" isn't a
    user.

    does anyone know what i'm doing wrong?
    Did someone do a createuser on your new server for
    the "user" in question?

    Sean
    Sean, no. is this likely the problem? do linux user
    names also have to be created in the db for folks who
    will use psql, pgadmin, etc.?

    tia...

    http://mail.yahoo.com
  • John DeSoi at Sep 23, 2005 at 5:27 pm

    i vpn into the company network, then i sign into the
    fc3 server a "user" via an accuterm session.

    i typed in

    "psql -d mydb"

    and received an error message that "user" isn't a
    user.

    does anyone know what i'm doing wrong?

    If you don't supply a specific user, the psql tries to use the
    current shell user name as the PostgreSQL user. So if "user" is not a
    real PostgreSQL user, you need to specify the user explicitly:

    psql -d mydb -U pgusername

    John DeSoi, Ph.D.
    http://pgedit.com/
    Power Tools for PostgreSQL