This is my first post to ANY mailing list so apologies in advance if I
screw up anywhere.

I'm using the pg_restore utility in PostgreSQL 8.0.3 with the following command:

pg_restore.exe -i -h localhost -p 5432 -U "username" -d databasename
-v "outputfile.backup"

pg_restore prompts me for a password and no matter what I key in it
fails my login. Looking at the pg_hba.conf file, I find my settings
configured as:

host all all 127.0.0.1/32 md5

It looks to me that the pg_restore program is expecting me to enter an
MD5 sum as the password. Due to the limitiation of my project's
requirement I'm not allowed to meddle with the pg_hba.conf file. Does
anyone know the correct method to generate an MD5 hash for the
password so that I may pass it in to pg_dump using the command line?

Regards.

--
visit my blog: http://wp.peachjon.com

Search Discussions

  • Tom Lane at Sep 23, 2005 at 2:04 pm

    Wye Jon Lee writes:
    I'm using the pg_restore utility in PostgreSQL 8.0.3 with the following command:
    pg_restore.exe -i -h localhost -p 5432 -U "username" -d databasename
    -v "outputfile.backup"
    pg_restore prompts me for a password and no matter what I key in it
    fails my login.
    pg_restore's support for password prompting is broken on Windows in
    8.0.3 :-(. It'll be fixed again in 8.0.4. Sorry about that. In the
    meantime you could use a ~/.pgpass file (see documentation).

    regards, tom lane
  • Wye Jon Lee at Sep 26, 2005 at 6:36 am
    Hi Tom,

    Any indication of when PostgreSQL 8.0.4 will be out?

    Regards.
    I'm using the pg_restore utility in PostgreSQL 8.0.3 with the following command:
    pg_restore.exe -i -h localhost -p 5432 -U "username" -d databasename
    -v "outputfile.backup"
    pg_restore prompts me for a password and no matter what I key in it
    fails my login.
    pg_restore's support for password prompting is broken on Windows in
    8.0.3 :-(. It'll be fixed again in 8.0.4. Sorry about that. In the
    meantime you could use a ~/.pgpass file (see documentation).

    regards, tom lane

grouppgsql-novice @
categoriespostgresql
postedSep 23, '05 at 8:22a