Hi from Colorado -

What is the purpose of the /global directory under pgsql/data?

I know this is not a pgadmin forum, but I get an error when trying to create
a connection to my server using pgadminIII, "could not open file
/usr/local/pgsql/data/global/1262. Permission denied".

I can connect fine using psql.

Thanks for the help!

David

David Fenske
Information Technology Administrator
National Honey Board
davidf@nhb.org
(303)776-2337 x 27

Search Discussions

  • Tom Lane at May 3, 2005 at 2:31 am

    DavidF@nhb.org writes:
    I know this is not a pgadmin forum, but I get an error when trying to create
    a connection to my server using pgadminIII, "could not open file
    /usr/local/pgsql/data/global/1262. Permission denied".
    global/1262 is the "pg_database" table. This would be just about the
    first table opened during backend startup. The failure suggests that
    either the permissions on that file (or one of the directories leading
    to it) are messed up, or that the postmaster was started using the
    wrong userid (ie, not the userid that owns the data files).
    I can connect fine using psql.
    Oh?

    AFAICS it's impossible for Postgres to fail that way for some
    connections and not others. My guess is that pgadmin is actually
    connecting to a different postmaster than your psql attempts are
    connecting to, and that there's something hosed about the postmaster
    that pgadmin is connecting to. It's hard to say more without more
    data, but you could try "ps auxww | grep postmaster" and see what
    turns up.

    regards, tom lane

grouppgsql-novice @
categoriespostgresql