Hi -

I'm working with postgres for the first time, and trying to do some trial
backups and restores. The pg_dump command is working fine, both through
pgadmin III and at the shell. For example, "pg_dump -F c -b -v -f
/pgbackups/mydb2dump.backup mydb2". According to the online manual, I need
to manually recreate the database prior to restoring it (or I can use the -C
option in pg_restore to do this). However, when I use pg_restore, it always
complains that objects in the schema already exist. "pg_restore -C -d
template1 /pgbackups/mydb2dump.backup" returns with "pg_restore:
[archiver(db)] could not execute query: ERROR: schema "information_schema"
already exists". This is, again, both at the shell and with pgadmin. Am I
missing some option, or misunderstanding the process? My goal is to be able
to restore the entire database, including the schema, so that I can rebuild
my ListManager server from scratch in a disaster recovery. Thanks a bunch in
advance!

David Fenske
Information Technology Administrator
National Honey Board
davidf@nhb.org
(303)776-2337 x 27

Search Discussions

  • Tom Lane at Apr 7, 2005 at 4:49 pm

    DavidF@nhb.org writes:
    ... However, when I use pg_restore, it always
    complains that objects in the schema already exist. "pg_restore -C -d
    template1 /pgbackups/mydb2dump.backup" returns with "pg_restore:
    [archiver(db)] could not execute query: ERROR: schema "information_schema"
    already exists".
    That's odd ... it sounds like pg_dump is dumping the information_schema,
    which it should not do. Perhaps you are accidentally using a pg_dump
    from 7.3, which predates PG's support of information_schema? Anyway I'm
    pretty sure this must be some sort of version skew issue. You generally
    need to be sure that pg_dump is not any older than the server it is
    dumping from.

    regards, tom lane
  • Brew at Apr 7, 2005 at 8:40 pm
    David.....
    I'm working with postgres for the first time, and trying to do some
    trial backups and restores.
    I backup with pg_dump (using plain text with --clean to drop the
    objects). That way I can easily view the database.

    To load the data back in I use the command line front end program psql :

    psql dbname < backup.sql

    However this doesn't work if you have binary data stored in the database.

    I'm sure others on the list have some more ideas, too.

    Welcome....

    brew

    Strange Brew (brew@theMode.com)
    Check out my Stock Option Covered Call website http://www.callpix.com
    and my Musician's Online Database Exchange http://www.TheMode.com

grouppgsql-novice @
categoriespostgresql
postedApr 7, '05 at 4:24p
activeApr 7, '05 at 8:40p
websitepostgresql.org
irc#postgresql

3 users in discussion

Davidf: 1 post Brew: 1 post Tom Lane: 1 post