Hi

Really lost. I have managed to get the prompt working but when I try to
make a db nothing happens. (I am on windows XP)

template1-# \l
List of databases
Name | Owner | Encoding
-----------+----------+-----------
template0 | postgres | SQL_ASCII
template1 | postgres | SQL_ASCII
(2 rows)

template1-# makedb mydb
template1-# \l
List of databases
Name | Owner | Encoding
-----------+----------+-----------
template0 | postgres | SQL_ASCII
template1 | postgres | SQL_ASCII
(2 rows)

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Stephen

  • Andrei Reinus at Mar 29, 2005 at 7:42 am
    template1=# \h CREATE DATABASE
    Command: CREATE DATABASE
    Syntax:
    CREATE DATABASE name
    [ [ WITH ] [ OWNER [=] dbowner ]
    [ TEMPLATE [=] template ]
    [ ENCODING [=] encoding ]
    [ TABLESPACE [=] tablespace ] ]

    -- Andrei Reinus
    -- "#define QUESTION ((bb) || !(bb)) - Shakespeare."

    Stephen Choularton wrote:
    Hi

    Really lost. I have managed to get the prompt working but when I try
    to make a db nothing happens. (I am on windows XP)

    template1-# \l

    List of databases

    Name | Owner | Encoding

    -----------+----------+-----------

    template0 | postgres | SQL_ASCII

    template1 | postgres | SQL_ASCII

    (2 rows)

    template1-# makedb mydb

    template1-# \l

    List of databases

    Name | Owner | Encoding

    -----------+----------+-----------

    template0 | postgres | SQL_ASCII

    template1 | postgres | SQL_ASCII

    (2 rows)

    Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

    Stephen

  • Van Ingen, Lane at Mar 29, 2005 at 12:42 pm
    There is no such command (that I know of). Looks like you really want to do a createdb or CREATE DATABASE
    command. createdb can be issued from an operating system prompt; CREATE DATABASE would be executed from
    inside psql. Both will crteate a database for you.

    If you have a Postgres manual (version 8.0), createdb is described on p/ 929, CREATE DATABASE on p. 743.
    Really lost. I have managed to get the prompt working but when I try to make a db nothing happens. (I am on windows XP)

    template1-# \l
    List of databases
    Name | Owner | Encoding
    -----------+----------+-----------
    template0 | postgres | SQL_ASCII
    template1 | postgres | SQL_ASCII
    (2 rows)

    template1-# makedb mydb
    template1-# \l
    List of databases
    Name | Owner | Encoding
    -----------+----------+-----------
    template0 | postgres | SQL_ASCII
    template1 | postgres | SQL_ASCII
    (2 rows)

    Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

    Stephen

  • Tom Lane at Mar 29, 2005 at 3:34 pm

    "Van Ingen, Lane" <lvaningen@ESNCC.com> writes:
    There is no such command (that I know of). Looks like you really want to do a createdb or CREATE DATABASE
    command. createdb can be issued from an operating system prompt; CREATE DATABASE would be executed from
    inside psql. Both will crteate a database for you.
    Also, the reason "nothing happened" is you didn't enter a semicolon.
    A SQL command isn't complete until you do. Had you typed "makedb mydb;"
    then at least you'd have gotten a SQL syntax error, which might have
    led your thoughts in the correct direction ...

    regards, tom lane

grouppgsql-novice @
categoriespostgresql
postedMar 29, '05 at 7:34a