Hi All,

Does building a primary key constraint automatically generate an index? Using
pgadmin I cannot see it if it does. Should I explicitly build indexes on
primary keys? Wouldn't building a unique index on the same columns as the
primary key be redundent? Your guidance is appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Keith

99main Internet Services http://www.99main.com

Search Discussions

  • Bruno Wolff III at Jan 21, 2005 at 9:08 pm

    Does building a primary key constraint automatically generate an index? Using
    pgadmin I cannot see it if it does. Should I explicitly build indexes on
    primary keys? Wouldn't building a unique index on the same columns as the
    primary key be redundent? Your guidance is appreciated.
    Yes, when you declare a primary (or unique) key a unique index over the
    columns of the key is created.

grouppgsql-novice @
categoriespostgresql
postedJan 21, '05 at 8:56p