Hi All,

Last week I upgraded from RedHat database (PostgreSQL v7.3.8) to PostgreSQL
v8rc5. This involved what I thought was some challenging changes because I
had to remove the rpms, compile and install the code and finally modify the
RedHat start up scripts. I tried to keep fairly detailed notes of the
process. It might be useful for someone moving from RedHat rpms to a Postgres
release. Anyone interested?

Kind Regards,
Keith

99main Internet Services http://www.99main.com

Search Discussions

  • Devrim Gündüz at Jan 19, 2005 at 2:25 pm
    Hi,
    Last week I upgraded from RedHat database (PostgreSQL v7.3.8) to PostgreSQL
    v8rc5. This involved what I thought was some challenging changes because I
    had to remove the rpms, compile and install the code and finally modify the
    RedHat start up scripts. I tried to keep fairly detailed notes of the
    process. It might be useful for someone moving from RedHat rpms to a Postgres
    release. Anyone interested?
    Himm... Instead, you could take a full dump with pg_dumpall, backup
    /var/lib/pgsql (in case of emergency), remove previous RPMs, install RPMs
    for 8.0 and reload the data... This is a simple process...

    Regards,
    - --
    Devrim GUNDUZ
    http://www.tdmsoft.com http://www.gunduz.org
  • Keith Worthington at Jan 19, 2005 at 3:39 pm

    Hi,
    Last week I upgraded from RedHat database (PostgreSQL v7.3.8)
    to PostgreSQL v8rc5. This involved what I thought was some
    challenging changes because I had to remove the rpms, compile
    and install the code and finally modify the RedHat start up
    scripts. I tried to keep fairly detailed notes of the
    process. It might be useful for someone moving from RedHat
    rpms to a Postgres release. Anyone interested?

    Kind Regards,
    Keith
    Himm... Instead, you could take a full dump with pg_dumpall,
    backup /var/lib/pgsql (in case of emergency), remove previous
    RPMs, install RPMs for 8.0 and reload the data... This is a
    simple process...

    Regards,
    - --
    Devrim GUNDUZ
    Devrim,

    Thanks for your reponse.

    I did use pg_dump to store and rebuild the database. Fortunately I didn't
    need any data so I skipped that part. I left that part out of my earlier post
    although it is in my notes.

    At the time I did not have the luxury of using rpms because there were none
    for RedHat Enterprise Linux v3. This is one of the reasons I had to move from
    what RedHat provided to an 'offical' release. In addition the RedHat
    installation locations were different from the PostgreSQL default ones. I
    could of course change the locations during compile but that negates using an
    rpm anyway.

    The reason for my original post was to offer the information to those that
    like me need to move from rhdb (which is usually some number of releases
    behind )to the offical release.

    Kind Regards,
    Keith

    99main Internet Services http://www.99main.com