Hi,

The recent Postgres7.4.5 mentions a fix for a crash.
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/release.html#RELEASE-7-4-5
"Repair possible crash during concurrent btree index insertions
This patch fixes a rare case in which concurrent insertions into a btree
index could result in a server panic. No permanent damage would result,
but it's still worth a re-release. The bug does not exist in pre-7.4
releases."

Is this crash anyway related to :
WARNING: specified item offset is too large
PANIC: failed to add item to the page for "<table_index_key>"
LOG: server process (PID 3786) was terminated by signal 6
LOG: terminating any other active server processes

I have been getting this crash for a while.
My app uses Postgres 7.4.3 on SunOS 5.9 Generic_112233-01 sun4u sparc
SUNW,UltraAX-i2

Is it worth to upgrade it to use 7.4.5?

Thanks,
Rajan

Search Discussions

  • Bruce Momjian at Aug 30, 2004 at 2:05 pm

    Rajan Bhide wrote:
[...]

    Not sure but you should upgrade anyway. It is easy.

    --
    Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us
    pgman@candle.pha.pa.us | (610) 359-1001

    "Rajan Bhide" <rbhide@starentnetworks.com> writes:
    The recent Postgres7.4.5 mentions a fix for a crash.
    Is this crash anyway related to :
    WARNING: specified item offset is too large
    PANIC: failed to add item to the page for "<table_index_key>"
    LOG: server process (PID 3786) was terminated by signal 6
    Yup, that looks like the same thing.

    regards, tom lane

grouppgsql-novice @
categoriespostgresql