Hi,

I decided how to deal with my large objects, and now I'm trying to get
them going in a python script.

I'm using pygresql. Is this considered a good thing? Should I use
something else? The syntax looks so simple - just loimport(filename)

I get a python error:
_pg.err: can't create large object

In the postmaster log is a one-liner:
ERROR: lo_lseek: invalid large obj descriptor (0)

Maybe I'm calling it wrong. Maybe I need to upgrade from 7.2.1 to
7.3.x? Maybe I need a new book - Practical Postgresql is very light on
discussion of large objects, and is based on 7.1 or so.

Any clues? Pointers to documents?

thanks
Cath
Cath Lawrence, Cath.Lawrence@anu.edu.au
Senior Scientific Programmer, Centre for Bioinformation Science,
John Curtin School of Medical Research (room 4088)
Australian National University, Canberra ACT 0200
ph: (02) 61257959 mobile: 0421-902694 fax: (02) 61252595

Search Discussions

  • Warwick Hunter at Aug 14, 2003 at 11:20 pm
    Cath
    I get a python error:
    _pg.err: can't create large object

    In the postmaster log is a one-liner:
    ERROR: lo_lseek: invalid large obj descriptor (0)
    Make sure that you are doing the large object manipulation
    inside a transaction. I saw this type of error from the
    C interface when I forgot to wrap it in a transaction.

    It could also be caused by permissions. I think your
    database user needs some special priveleges to be able
    to create large objects.

    Warwick
    --
    Warwick Hunter Agile TV Corporation
    Voice: +61 7 5584 5912 Fax: +61 7 5575 9550

    ERROR: lo_lseek: invalid large obj descriptor (0)
    Make sure that you are doing the large object manipulation
    inside a transaction. I saw this type of error from the
    C interface when I forgot to wrap it in a transaction.
    Thanks for the tip, but how do I do this?

    I have pygresql 3.3 and have gone through the readme thoroughly, and it
    says nothing about it. I assumed each call to the database must be a
    transaction.
    It could also be caused by permissions. I think your
    database user needs some special priveleges to be able
    to create large objects.
    It's not this - when I am in command line psql mode I can use
    \lo_import, and it works fine.
    It's just my python script that fails.

    thanks
    Cath Lawrence, Cath.Lawrence@anu.edu.au
    Senior Scientific Programmer, Centre for Bioinformation Science,
    John Curtin School of Medical Research (room 4088)
    Australian National University, Canberra ACT 0200
    ph: (02) 61257959 mobile: 0421-902694 fax: (02) 61252595
  • Warwick Hunter at Aug 17, 2003 at 10:51 pm
    Thanks for the tip, but how do I do this?
    I am afraid I cannot help you with respect to Python.

    Warwick
    --
    Warwick Hunter Agile TV Corporation
    Voice: +61 7 5584 5912 Fax: +61 7 5575 9550
    mailto:whunter@agile.tv http://www.agile.tv

grouppgsql-novice @
categoriespostgresql
postedAug 14, '03 at 5:13a
activeAug 17, '03 at 10:51p
websitepostgresql.org
irc#postgresql

2 users in discussion

Cath Lawrence: 2 posts Warwick Hunter: 2 posts