Dave Page wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Reshat Sabiq
Sent: 20 May 2003 00:33
To: pgadmin-support@postgresql.org
Subject: [pgadmin-support] ENCODING (Unicode)

To my surprise i recently found out that there is no
difference in what encoding a database or even initdb has.
I could insert and retrieve Unicode and extended ASCII with a
Java program, and everything is good. However, when the
values are displayed by pgadmin or a cygwin shell, both
extended ASCII and Unicode characters are shown as a sequence
of 2 characters, and those don't correspond to the bits one
would expect to have if 2 byte-characer were split into 2
1-byte (8-bit) characters. The best explanation i could come
up with is that pgAdminII is not supporting Unicode
encodings, and the shell obviously also does not. This is not
surprising, because most of pre-Java, pre-.NET apps were and
are like that, although Windows has the notions of wchar...
If i'm right, i wonder if Unicode is expected to be supported
sometimes in the future. And in general all feedback is appreciated.
Hi,

pgAdmin doesn't support Unicode as you say, primarily because Visual
Basic doesn't either (at least not to any degree of usefulness). pgAdmin
III will eventually support Unicode as it is being written in C++ with
eventual support being catered for as much as possible.

Regards, Dave.
Thanks. Glad to hear about pgAdminIII...
To follow up on this topic:
Given that i can insert and retrieve Unicode values into either ASCII-based or Unicode-based DB, is Unicode-based DB less efficient? I remember reading something about it a while ago. I don't see immediately why that would be the case though, because special characters are 2 bytes either way, assuming we are not simplifying Unicode characters into ASCII.

Sincerely,
Reshat.

If you see my certificate with this message, you should be able to send me encrypted e-mail.
Please consult your e-mail client for details if you would like to do that.

Search Discussions

  • Dave Page at May 21, 2003 at 7:18 am
    Thanks. Glad to hear about pgAdminIII...
    To follow up on this topic:
    Given that i can insert and retrieve Unicode values into either
    ASCII-based
    or Unicode-based DB, is Unicode-based DB less efficient? I
    remember reading
    something about it a while ago. I don't see immediately why that
    would be the
    case though, because special characters are 2 bytes either way,
    assuming we
    are not simplifying Unicode characters into ASCII.

    Sorry, I can't answer that - perhaps someone on
    pgsql-general@postgresql.org would know?
    Regards, Dave.

grouppgsql-novice @
categoriespostgresql